Dr. Alfred M. Bongiovanni is a young man who started research work as an investigator at the Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, Massachusetts, even before he received his B.S. degree from Villanova College in 1940. While at Villanova, Dr. Bongiovanni received the Kolmer Medal for Excellence in Science. In 1943 he received his M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania, following which he immediately served a 2-year tour of duty in the United States Navy.
After discharge from the Navy, he filled residencies at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia from 1947 to 1949. During the years 1949 and 1950, Dr. Bongiovanni served as Assistant Physician at the Rockefeller Institute in New York and in 1950-51 returned to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia as Assistant Director of Clinics. In 1951 he was appointed the National Foundation of Infantile Paralysis Fellow to the Research Division of the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. New opportunities and promotions quickly followed with an appointment as Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at Johns Hopkins in 1952; Senior Research Associate in the Pediatric Endocrine Division and Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Pennsylvania in 1954; and in 1955 Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the same university.
Dr. Bongiovanni is a Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatrics and a member of the Editorial Board of the American Journal of Medical Sciences and of numerous professional societies. In 1956 Dr. Bongiovanni received the Ciba Award.
Dr. Bongiovanni has been author of about 50 articles, the great majority of which are on endocrinology and at least 23 of them with Dr. Eberlein, who is the co-recipient with Dr. Bongiovanni of this Award, as a co-author.
- Copyright © 1958 by the American Academy of Pediatrics