August 2019, VOLUME 144 / ISSUE 2
Table of Contents
- Open AccessState Gun Laws and Pediatric Firearm-Related MortalityMonika K. Goyal, Gia M. Badolato, Shilpa J. Patel, Sabah F. Iqbal, Kavita Parikh, Robert McCarterPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183283; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3283
This cross-sectional study of the WISQARS explores the association between strictness of state-based firearm legislation and firearm-related mortality in children.
- Open AccessAdverse Childhood Experiences and Protective Factors With School EngagementAngelica Robles, Annie Gjelsvik, Priya Hirway, Patrick M. Vivier, Pamela HighPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20182945; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2945
This population-based study of children in the United States identifies associations of ACEs and PFs with negative school performance and attitudes.
- Open AccessNeuropsychiatric Sequelae in Adolescents With Acute Synthetic Cannabinoid ToxicitySarah Ann R. Anderson, Anna M. Oprescu, Diane P. Calello, Andrew Monte, Peter S. Dayan, Yasmin L. Hurd, Alex F. Manini, on behalf of the ToxIC InvestigatorsPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20182690; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2690
In a multicenter study, adolescents presenting to the ED with SC acute toxicity had significant neuropsychiatric outcomes.
- Open AccessAsthma Hospitalizations Among Homeless Children in New York StateRie Sakai-Bizmark, Ruey-Kang R. Chang, Laurie A. Mena, Eliza J. Webber, Emily H. Marr, Kenny Y. KwongPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20182769; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2769
In this study, using 2009–2014 statewide inpatient data from New York, we provide compelling new insight on levels of health care use among homeless children with asthma.
- Open AccessFamily Chaos and Asthma ControlSally M. Weinstein, Oksana Pugach, Genesis Rosales, Giselle S. Mosnaim, Surrey M. Walton, Molly A. MartinPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20182758; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2758
Family chaos emerged as a robust predictor and pathway linking parent depression and child asthma outcomes among urban minority youth.
- Open AccessNeighborhood Social Conditions, Family Relationships, and Childhood AsthmaEdith Chen, Robin Hayen, Van Le, Makeda K. Austin, Madeleine U. Shalowitz, Rachel E. Story, Gregory E. MillerPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183300; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3300
In this study, we investigate the combined effects of neighborhood social conditions (danger and disorder) and family relationship quality on childhood asthma.
- Open AccessSerious Bacterial Infections in Neonates Presenting Afebrile With History of FeverSriram Ramgopal, Lorne W. Walker, Melissa M. Tavarez, Andrew J. Nowalk, Melissa A. VitalePediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183964; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3964
In this study, we investigate rates of infection in neonates presenting to EDs with historical fever only and who remain afebrile during hospitalization.
- Open AccessMedicaid and CHIP Child Health Beneficiary Incentives: Program Landscape and Stakeholder InsightsConnor A. Moseley, Madhulika Vulimiri, Robert S. Saunders, William K. Bleser, Eliana M. Perrin, Sarah C. Armstrong, Gary X. Wang, Peter A. Ubel, Mark McClellan, Charlene A. WongPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183161; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3161
The landscape of Medicaid and CHIP beneficiary incentive programs for children’s health is described, accompanied by key stakeholder insights on beneficiary engagement and program evaluation.
- Open AccessFactors That Influence the Choice of Academic Pediatrics by Underrepresented MinoritiesGabrina Dixon, Terry Kind, Joseph Wright, Nikki Stewart, Alexandra Sims, Aisha BarberPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20182759; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2759
In this study, we address what experiences influence URMs in pursuing academic pediatric medicine.
- Open AccessRisk of Recurrent Fracture: A Population-Based StudyBenjamin G. Escott, Teresa To, Dorcas E. Beaton, Andrew W. HowardPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20172552; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2552
Children who fracture once are more likely to fracture again. This suggests assessing and improving bone health in pediatrics, as is routine in geriatrics.
- Open AccessThyroid-Stimulating Hormone Reference Ranges for Preterm InfantsDinushan C. Kaluarachchi, David B. Allen, Jens C. Eickhoff, Sandra J. Dawe, Mei W. BakerPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20190290; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0290
In this study, we define TSH reference ranges from birth to term corrected gestational age in preterm infants born at <32 weeks using a statewide birth cohort.
- Open AccessHousing Instability Among Families With Young Children With Special Health Care NeedsRuth Rose-Jacobs, Stephanie Ettinger de Cuba, Allison Bovell-Ammon, Maureen M. Black, Sharon M. Coleman, Diana Cutts, Mariana Chilton, Timothy Heeren, Patrick Casey, Eduardo Ochoa, Deborah A. Frank, Megan SandelPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20181704; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-1704
This study compares households of young children with and without SHCNs and associated risks of 3 circumstances of housing insecurity.
- Open AccessUnderstanding Which Teenagers Benefit Most From a Brief Primary Care Substance Use InterventionElizabeth J. D’Amico, Layla Parast, Karen C. Osilla, Rachana Seelam, Lisa S. Meredith, William G. Shadel, Bradley D. SteinPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183014; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3014
A 15-minute intervention in PC can benefit adolescents with more severe alcohol and marijuana use 1 year later compared with UC.
- Open AccessPredictive Validity of the CRAFFT for Substance Use DisorderRohit P. Shenoi, James G. Linakis, Julie R. Bromberg, T. Charles Casper, Rachel Richards, Michael J. Mello, Thomas H. Chun, Anthony Spirito, PEDIATRIC EMERGENCY CARE APPLIED RESEARCH NETWORKPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183415; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3415
CRAFFT is used to identify patients in the PED with current problematic substance use and SUDs; it has value in predicting SUDs but with limited sensitivity.
- Open AccessToxicity of Bupropion Overdose Compared With Selective Serotonin Reuptake InhibitorsAdam Overberg, Shannon Morton, Emily Wagner, Blake FrobergPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183295; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3295
Fluoxetine and escitalopram are FDA-approved prescription medications for pediatric depression but are not the only agents used. We examine adolescent overdose risks of bupropion and SSRIs.
- Open AccessSchool Readiness in Preschoolers With Symptoms of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity DisorderHannah T. Perrin, Nicole A. Heller, Irene M. LoePediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20190038; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0038
Preschoolers with ADHD symptoms have a higher likelihood of school readiness impairment than peers without ADHD symptoms on a comprehensive, 5-domain school readiness assessment.
- Open AccessA Parent Treatment Program for Preschoolers With Obesity: A Randomized Controlled TrialAnna Ek, Kathryn Lewis Chamberlain, Kimmo Sorjonen, Ulf Hammar, Mahnoush Etminan Malek, Pernilla Sandvik, Maria Somaraki, Jonna Nyman, Louise Lindberg, Karin Nordin, Jan Ejderhamn, Philip A. Fisher, Patricia Chamberlain, Claude Marcus, Paulina NowickaPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183457; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3457
In this RCT, we evaluate a novel approach for preschool obesity, focusing on evidence-based parenting practices and the influence of intensity on treatment effects.
- Open AccessNeurodevelopmental Outcomes of Preterm Infants With Retinopathy of Prematurity by TreatmentGirija Natarajan, Seetha Shankaran, Tracy L. Nolen, Amaanti Sridhar, Kathleen A. Kennedy, Susan R. Hintz, Dale L. Phelps, Sara B. DeMauro, Waldemar A. Carlo, Marie G. Gantz, Abhik Das, Rachel G. Greenberg, Noelle E. Younge, Joseph M. Bliss, Ruth Seabrook, Pablo J. Sánchez, Myra H. Wyckoff, Edward F. Bell, Betty R. Vohr, Rosemary D. HigginsPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183537; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3537
Death or NDI in early childhood among infants treated with laser surgery or bevacizumab was not significantly different, but death was higher in the bevacizumab group.
- Open AccessHearing Loss With Congenital Cytomegalovirus InfectionIna Foulon, Yannick De Brucker, Ronald Buyl, Elke Lichtert, Katia Verbruggen, Denis Piérard, Fleur Anne Camfferman, Léonardo Gucciardo, Frans GordtsPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183095; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3095
Incidence of hearing loss in children with cCMV infection is discussed, and risk indicators for hearing loss are described.
- Open AccessNeonatal Abstinence Syndrome and Associated Neonatal and Maternal Mortality and MorbiditySarka Lisonkova, Lindsay L. Richter, Joseph Ting, Giulia M. Muraca, Qi Wen, Azar Mehrabadi, Sheona Mitchell-Foster, Eugenia Oviedo-Joekes, Janet LyonsPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183664; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3664
Infants with NAS have increased risk of severe morbidity, and their mothers have elevated mortality and severe morbidity.
- Open AccessExtended Maternity Leave and Breastfeeding in Active Duty MothersAndrew Delle Donne, Alex Hatch, Nicholas R. Carr, James Aden, Jonathan ShapiroPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183795; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3795
In 2016, the DoD doubled maternity leave for active duty mothers; we found that extended maternity leave correlated with increased breastfeeding initiation and duration.
- Open AccessCardiometabolic Risk and Body Composition in Youth With Down SyndromeSheela N. Magge, Babette S. Zemel, Mary E. Pipan, Samuel S. Gidding, Andrea KellyPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20190137; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0137
In this cross-sectional study, we compare CMR factors and body composition in 150 youth with DS with those of 100 typically developing controls.
- Open AccessPediatric Respiratory Illness Measurement System (PRIMES) Scores and OutcomesRita Mangione-Smith, Chuan Zhou, Derek J. Williams, David P. Johnson, Chén C. Kenyon, Amy Tyler, Ricardo Quinonez, Joyee Vachani, Julie McGalliard, Joel S. Tieder, Tamara D. Simon, Karen M. Wilson, for the Pediatric Research in Inpatient Settings (PRIS) NetworkPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20190242; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0242
In this study, we examine the association between higher scores on PRIMES composite measures and outcomes of care, including improvements in HRQOL, LOS, and reuse.
- Open AccessParent Attitudes and Preferences for Discussing Health Care Costs in the Inpatient SettingJimmy Beck, Julia Wignall, Elizabeth Jacob-Files, Michael J. Tchou, Alan Schroeder, Nora B. Henrikson, Arti D. DesaiPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20184029; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-4029
In this study, we provide a framework for how to have cost discussions with parents of children who are hospitalized.
- Open AccessLocal Anesthesia With General Anesthesia for Pediatric Bone Marrow ProceduresSara Zarnegar-Lumley, Katharine R. Lange, Melissa D. Mathias, Miho Nakajima-Hatano, Katharine M. Offer, Ugochi O. Ogu, Michael V. Ortiz, Kay See Tan, Michael Kellick, Shakeel Modak, Stephen S. Roberts, Ellen M. Basu, R. Scott DingemanPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183829; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3829
LA was added to GA for BM procedures in patients with neuroblastoma to compare pain, opioid usage, and QoL.
- Open AccessOffice-Based Educational Handout for Influenza Vaccination: A Randomized Controlled TrialVanessa P. Scott, Douglas J. Opel, Jason Reifler, Sharon Rikin, Kalpana Pethe, Angela Barrett, Melissa S. StockwellPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20182580; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2580
In this study, we evaluate brief, clinic-based educational interventions for parents versus usual care with receipt of the child influenza vaccine.
From the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Open AccessThe Impact of Racism on Child and Adolescent HealthMaria Trent, Danielle G. Dooley, Jacqueline Dougé, SECTION ON ADOLESCENT HEALTH, COUNCIL ON COMMUNITY PEDIATRICS, COMMITTEE ON ADOLESCENCEPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20191765; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-1765
- Open AccessManagement of Infants at Risk for Group B Streptococcal DiseaseKaren M. Puopolo, Ruth Lynfield, James J. Cummings, COMMITTEE ON FETUS AND NEWBORN, COMMITTEE ON INFECTIOUS DISEASESPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20191881; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-1881
AAP Meeting Abstracts
- Open AccessHealth Systems Have a Role in Preventing Firearm InjuryGeorge Isham, Jay Bhatt, Bechara Choucair, David Grossman, Elizabeth McGlynnPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20191701; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-1701
Advocacy Case Study
- Open AccessImproving Information Sharing for Youth in Foster CareMary V. Greiner, Sarah J. Beal, Judith W. Dexheimer, Parth Divekar, Vikash Patel, Eric S. HallPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20190580; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0580
We describe the development of an information sharing system between the EHR and the child welfare database to improve health care delivery for children in custody.
- Open AccessRacial/Ethnic Disparities in Neonatal Intensive Care: A Systematic ReviewKrista Sigurdson, Briana Mitchell, Jessica Liu, Christine Morton, Jeffrey B. Gould, Henry C. Lee, Nicole Capdarest-Arest, Jochen ProfitPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183114; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3114
This article is a systematic review of the literature on racial and/or ethnic disparities in NICU quality of care; we note important areas of intervention for improving infant outcomes.
- Open AccessAdolescent Mental Health Program Components and Behavior Risk Reduction: A Meta-analysisSarah Skeen, Christina A. Laurenzi, Sarah L. Gordon, Stefani du Toit, Mark Tomlinson, Tarun Dua, Alexandra Fleischmann, Kid Kohl, David Ross, Chiara Servili, Amanda S. Brand, Nicholas Dowdall, Crick Lund, Claire van der Westhuizen, Liliana Carvajal-Aguirre, Cristina Eriksson de Carvalho, G.J. Melendez-TorresPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183488; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3488
This meta-analysis of adolescent mental health interventions identifies successful program components across those promoting positive mental health, preventing depression and anxiety, and preventing risk behaviors.
State-of-the-Art Review Article
- Open AccessCongenital Muscular Torticollis: Bridging the Gap Between Research and Clinical PracticeBarbara Sargent, Sandra L. Kaplan, Colleen Coulter, Cynthia BakerPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20190582; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0582
We share selected evidence-based recommendations and implementation strategies specifically relevant to pediatric practice to optimize outcomes and health services for infants with CMT.
- Open AccessA Framework for Evaluation of the Higher-Risk Infant After a Brief Resolved Unexplained EventJ. Lawrence Merritt, Ricardo A. Quinonez, Joshua L. Bonkowsky, Wayne H. Franklin, David A. Gremse, Bruce E. Herman, Carole Jenny, Eliot S. Katz, Leonard R. Krilov, Chuck Norlin, Robert E. Sapién, Joel S. TiederPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20184101; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-4101
A proposed tiered framework for the evaluation and management of a higher-risk infant after a BRUE.
- Open AccessCognitive and Behavioral Impact on Children Exposed to Opioids During PregnancyJustine J. Larson, Devon L. Graham, Lynn T. Singer, Anna M. Beckwith, Mishka Terplan, Jonathan M. Davis, Juan Martinez, Henrietta S. BadaPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20190514; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0514
The impact on children exposed to opioids during pregnancy is a subject of debate, but it is a marker for risk of adverse outcomes.
- Open AccessWhen Parents Take Conflicts to Digital MediaBryanna Moore, John D. LantosPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20190932; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0932
In this article, we examine 7 themes underlying parent-initiated digital media campaigns aimed at orchestrating public opposition to doctors’ recommendations.
- Open AccessIntegration of Pediatric Palliative Care Into Cardiac Intensive Care: A Champion-Based ModelKatie M. Moynihan, Jennifer M. Snaman, Erica C. Kaye, Wynne E. Morrison, Aaron G. DeWitt, Loren D. Sacks, Jess L. Thompson, Jennifer M. Hwang, Valerie Bailey, Deborah A. Lafond, Joanne Wolfe, Elizabeth D. BlumePediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20190160; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0160
We propose a novel conceptual model for PPC integration into the traditionally cure-oriented CICU using interdisciplinary PPCCs.
- Open AccessCultivating Research Skills During Clinical Training to Promote Pediatric-Scientist DevelopmentJillian H. Hurst, Katherine J. Barrett, Matthew S. Kelly, Betty B. Staples, Kathleen A. McGann, Coleen K. Cunningham, Ann M. Reed, Rasheed A. Gbadegesin, Sallie R. PermarPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20190745; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0745
In this article, we describe the implementation of a pediatric-scientist development program and address challenges and solutions for integrating research training into medium-sized pediatric residency programs.
- Open AccessWhen Adolescent and Parents Disagree on Medical Plan, Who Gets to Decide?Kali A. Hopkins, Mary A. Ott, Zeynep Salih, Gabriel T. Bosslet, John LantosPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20190291; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0291
An adolescent with DMD wants a life-extending tracheostomy, whereas his parents do not want this for him.
- Open AccessEarly-Onset Sepsis Risk Calculator Integration Into an Electronic Health Record in the NurseryCarole H. Stipelman, Elizabeth R. Smith, Margarita Diaz-Ochu, Jennifer Spackman, Greg Stoddard, Kensaku Kawamoto, Julie H. ShakibPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20183464; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3464
Integration of an EOS risk calculator in the EHR increased calculator use and reduced antibiotic orders in a newborn nursery.
- Open AccessUsing Quality Improvement to Implement a Standardized Approach to Neonatal Herpes Simplex VirusLaura H. Brower, Paria M. Wilson, Eileen Murtagh Kurowski, David Haslam, Joshua Courter, Neera Goyal, Michelle Durling, Samir S. Shah, Amanda SchondelmeyerPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20180262; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0262
Implementation of standardized risk assessment, testing, and treatment of neonatal HSV resulted in decreased acyclovir use and laboratory testing for non–high-risk patients.
- Open AccessHyperammonemic Encephalopathy due to Ureaplasma parvum Infection in an Immunocompromised ChildMallory Smith, Jonathan D. Crews, Nadia Cheek, Rachana Srivastava, Elumalai AppachiPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20190601; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0601
We report a case of severe hyperammonemia due to disseminated infection from Ureaplasma parvum in a 12-year-old child with leukemia.
- Open AccessSuccessful Treatment of Juvenile Polyposis of Infancy With SirolimusVeronica B. Busoni, Marina Orsi, Pablo A. Lobos, Daniel D’Agostino, Marta Wagener, Paola De la Iglesia, Victor L. FoxPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20182922; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2922
We report herein a successful drug therapy for JPI, a devastating and life-threatening condition.
- Open AccessThe Challenge of Treating Pulmonary Vasculitis in Behçet Disease: Two Pediatric CasesSelcan Demir, Erdal Sag, Ummusen Kaya Akca, Tuncay Hazirolan, Yelda Bilginer, Seza OzenPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20190162; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0162
We reported 2 pediatric patients with BD with pulmonary vasculitis, treated successfully with an aggressive immunosuppressive modality, and we have done a systematic review.
- Open AccessKumar J, Dutta S, Sundaram V, Saini SS, Sharma RR, Varma N. Platelet Transfusion for PDA Closure in Preterm Infants: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatrics. 2019;143(5):e20182565Pediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20191712; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-1712
Letters to the Editor
- Open AccessRE: Antibiotic Prescribing During Pediatric Direct-to-Consumer Telemedicine VisitsAdam L. Hersh, Edward Stenehjem, Will DainesPediatrics Aug 2019, 144 (2) e20191786B; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-1786B