June 2019, VOLUME 143 / ISSUE 6
Table of Contents
- Open AccessTraffic Crashes, Violations, and Suspensions Among Young Drivers With ADHDAllison E. Curry, Benjamin E. Yerys, Kristina B. Metzger, Meghan E. Carey, Thomas J. PowerPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20182305; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2305
Via a linkage of health records and traffic data, this longitudinal study suggests that preventable risky behaviors underlie increased crash risk among adolescents with ADHD.
- Open AccessPoverty and Early Childhood OutcomesLeslie L. Roos, Elizabeth Wall-Wieler, Janelle Boram LeePediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183426; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3426
Poor early childhood outcomes (both health and educational) are examined by looking at children’s movement into and out of both neighborhood and household poverty.
- Open AccessElimination of Nonmedical Immunization Exemptions in California and School-Entry Vaccine StatusPaul L. Delamater, S. Cassandra Pingali, Alison M. Buttenheim, Daniel A. Salmon, Nicola P. Klein, Saad B. OmerPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183301; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3301
In this study, we found that vaccine refusal persisted after the elimination of nonmedical exemptions from school-entry vaccine requirements in California.
- Open AccessSchool Restroom and Locker Room Restrictions and Sexual Assault Risk Among Transgender YouthGabriel R. Murchison, Madina Agénor, Sari L. Reisner, Ryan J. WatsonPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20182902; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2902
In this study, we report rates of sexual assault victimization, and its association with restrictive school restroom and locker room policies, in a transgender and gender nonbinary adolescent sample.
- Open AccessProposition 8 and Homophobic Bullying in CaliforniaMark L. Hatzenbuehler, Yishan Shen, Elizabeth A. Vandewater, Stephen T. RussellPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20182116; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2116
Using a quasi-experimental design, we document a relationship between voter referenda that promote stigma and increased risk for bias-based bullying among youth.
- Open AccessTrends in Opioid Prescribing for Adolescents and Young Adults in Ambulatory Care SettingsJoel D. Hudgins, John J. Porter, Michael C. Monuteaux, Florence T. BourgeoisPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20181578; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-1578
In this analysis of nationally representative ambulatory care visits, we define trends and practices in opioid prescribing for adolescents and young adults.
- Open AccessOutpatient Prescription Opioid Use in Pediatric Medicaid Enrollees With Special Health Care NeedsJames A. Feinstein, Jonathan Rodean, Matt Hall, Stephanie K. Doupnik, James C. Gay, Jessica L. Markham, Jessica L. Bettenhausen, Julia Simmons, Brigid Garrity, Jay G. BerryPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20182199; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2199
In this study, we highlight outpatient OEs in CYSHCN by prevalence and type of OE, diagnoses, and health care encounters.
- Open AccessAmbulatory Management of Childhood Asthma Using a Novel Self-management ApplicationFlory L. Nkoy, Bernhard A. Fassl, Victoria L. Wilkins, Joseph Johnson, Eun Hea Unsicker, Karmella J. Koopmeiners, Andrea Jensen, Michelle Frazier, Jordan Gaddis, Lis Malmgren, Stacey Williams, Heather Oldroyd, Tom Greene, Xiaoming Sheng, Derek A. Uchida, Christopher G. Maloney, Bryan L. StonePediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20181711; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-1711
In this study, we evaluate the impact of implementing a novel pediatric asthma self-management tool in multiple ambulatory care clinics, driving timely and proactive care.
- Open AccessTreatment Intensification in Patients With Kawasaki Disease and Coronary Aneurysm at DiagnosisAudrey Dionne, Jane C. Burns, Nagib Dahdah, Adriana H. Tremoulet, Kimberlee Gauvreau, Sarah D. de Ferranti, Annette L. Baker, Mary Beth Son, Patrick Gould, Anne Fournier, Jane W. Newburger, Kevin G. FriedmanPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183341; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3341
In this study, we examined the impact of treatment intensification with corticosteroids or infliximab in patients with KD and coronary aneurysm.
- Open AccessEtanercept With IVIg for Acute Kawasaki Disease: A Randomized Controlled TrialMichael A. Portman, Nagib S. Dahdah, April Slee, Aaron K. Olson, Nadine F. Choueiter, Brian D. Soriano, Sujatha Buddhe, Carolyn A. Altman, for the EATAK InvestigatorsPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183675; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3675
Etanercept in a randomized clinical trial exhibited potential benefit as an adjunctive IVIg treatment of acute KD in select prespecified subgroups.
- Open AccessAdult Tourniquet for Use in School-Age EmergenciesH. Theodore Harcke, Luke L. Lawrence, Emily W. Gripp, Heidi H. Kecskemethy, Richard W. Kruse, Stephen G. MurphyPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183447; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3447
Prospective testing of the adult CAT in children aged 6 to16 years revealed effective control of arterial blood flow.
- Open AccessState Mandate Laws for Autism Coverage and High-Deductible Health PlansColleen L. Barry, Alene Kennedy-Hendricks, David Mandell, Andrew J. Epstein, Molly Candon, Matthew EisenbergPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20182391; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2391
In this study, we examine how state autism mandates affect children with ASD in HDHPs relative to those in traditional, low-deductible plans.
- Open AccessTwo Family Interventions to Reduce BMI in Low-Income Urban Youth: A Randomized TrialShirley M. Moore, Elaine A. Borawski, Thomas E. Love, Sarah Jones, Terri Casey, Sarah McAleer, Charles Thomas, Clara Adegbite-Adeniyi, Naveen K. Uli, Heather K. Hardin, Erika S. Trapl, Matthew Plow, June Stevens, Kimberly P. Truesdale, Charlotte A. Pratt, Michael Long, Ann NevarPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20182185; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2185
Despite the epidemic of childhood obesity, effective and sustainable intervention approaches to help children lose weight or maintain their weight in low-income families remain elusive.
- Open AccessAn Early Infant HIV Risk Score for Targeted HIV Testing at BirthNicolette M. Du Plessis, Chris J.B. Muller, Theunis Avenant, Michael S. Pepper, Ameena E. GogaPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183834; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3834
Risk score models for birth HIV acquisition were developed in this study, and the feasibility of targeted compared with universal birth PCR testing was evaluated.
- Open AccessGeneral Health and Life Satisfaction in Children With Chronic IllnessCourtney K. Blackwell, Amy J. Elliott, Jody Ganiban, Julie Herbstman, Kelly Hunt, Christopher B. Forrest, Carlos A. Camargo, on behalf of program collaborators for Environmental influences on Child Health OutcomesPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20182988; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2988
Although chronic illnesses are associated with worse general health, they do not limit children from leading satisfying lives.
- Open AccessDiabetes-Related Emotional Distress Over TimeEsti Iturralde, Joseph R. Rausch, Jill Weissberg-Benchell, Korey K. HoodPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183011; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3011
In this study, we examine trajectories of adolescents’ diabetes-related emotional distress and assess predictors of adaptive and maladaptive patterns over a 16-month timespan.
- Open AccessLong-term Outcomes of Cerebral Aneurysms in ChildrenAymeric Amelot, Guillaume Saliou, Sandro Benichi, Quentin Alias, Grégoire Boulouis, Michel Zerah, Nozar Aghakhani, Augustin Ozanne, Thomas Blauwblomme, Olivier NaggaraPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183036; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3036
We identified prognostic factors for long-term clinical outcome as well as imaging outcome for recurrence and rebleeding of ruptured or symptomatic cerebral aneurysms in ≤15-year-old children.
- Open AccessDevelopment of Nationwide Recommendations to Support Prenatal Counseling in Extreme PrematurityRosa Geurtzen, Arno F.J. van Heijst, Jos M.T. Draaisma, Lindie J.M.K. Kuijpers, Mallory Woiski, Hubertina C.J. Scheepers, Anton H. van Kaam, Martijn A. Oudijk, Harrie N. Lafeber, Caroline J. Bax, Jan F. Koper, Leonie K. Duin, Marc A. van der Hoeven, René F. Kornelisse, Johannes J. Duvekot, Peter Andriessen, Pieter J. van Runnard Heimel, Marja van der Heide-Jalving, Mireille N. Bekker, Susanne M. Mulder-de Tollenaer, Jim van Eyck, Ellis Eshuis-Peters, Margo Graatsma, Rosella P.M.G. Hermens, Marije HogeveenPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183253; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3253
The Delphi method is used to develop a framework for prenatal periviability counseling. This framework contains recommendations in the domains of organization, decision-making, content, and style, including personalization tools.
- Open AccessFree Fatty Acids as an Indicator of the Nonfasted State in ChildrenShavonne M. Collins, Miranda M. Broadney, Nejla Ghane, Elisabeth K. Davis, Manuela Jaramillo, Lisa M. Shank, Sheila M. Brady, Jack A. YanovskiPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183896; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3896
Serum FFA concentrations were found to be a helpful biochemical test to identify the fasted versus fed state in children.
- Open AccessInjury Incidence in Youth, High School, and NCAA Men’s LacrosseZachary Y. Kerr, Karen G. Roos, Andrew E. Lincoln, Sarah Morris, Susan W. Yeargin, Jon Grant, Tracey Covassin, Thomas Dodge, Vincent C. Nittoli, James Mensch, Sara L. Quetant, Erin B. Wasserman, Thomas P. Dompier, Shane V. CaswellPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183482; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3482
With this epidemiological study, we use sports injury surveillance data to describe and compare the incidence of injury in youth boys’, HS boys’, and NCAA men’s lacrosse.
- Open AccessTrends in Pediatric Emergency Department Use After the Affordable Care ActMichael Lee, Michael C. MonuteauxPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183542; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3542
In this cross-sectional, retrospective ITS analysis, we found that pediatric ED visits did not fall after the 2014 implementation of the ACA.
- Open AccessFood Insecurity During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding by Low-Income Hispanic MothersRachel S. Gross, Alan L. Mendelsohn, Mayela M. Arana, Mary Jo MessitoPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20184113; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-4113
Maternal perceptions that food insecurity during pregnancy and infancy affects maternal diet quality, stress, and ultimately infant feeding may explain links to later child obesity.
- Open AccessThe Reading House: A Children’s Book for Emergent Literacy Screening During Well-Child VisitsJohn S. Hutton, Laura Justice, Guixia Huang, Amy Kerr, Thomas DeWitt, Richard F. IttenbachPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183843; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3843
This study involved preliminary validation of a specially designed children’s book for screening emergent literacy skills in 3- and 4-year-old children during well-child visits.
- Open AccessDriving the Point Home: Novel Approaches to Mitigate Crash Risk for Patients With ADHDSudha Raman, Matthew Engelhard, Scott H. KollinsPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20190820; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0820
From the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Open AccessFish, Shellfish, and Children’s Health: An Assessment of Benefits, Risks, and SustainabilityAaron S. Bernstein, Emily Oken, Sarah de Ferranti, COUNCIL ON ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH, COMMITTEE ON NUTRITIONPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20190999; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0999
- Open AccessGuidelines for Monitoring and Management of Pediatric Patients Before, During, and After Sedation for Diagnostic and Therapeutic ProceduresCharles J. Coté, Stephen Wilson, AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS, AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRIC DENTISTRYPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20191000; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-1000
- Open AccessOrganized Sports for Children, Preadolescents, and AdolescentsKelsey Logan, Steven Cuff, COUNCIL ON SPORTS MEDICINE AND FITNESSPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20190997; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0997
- Open AccessMeaningful Patient Engagement in Research: Lessons From RetinoblastomaElizabeth White, Richelle Baddeliyanage, Furqan Shaikh, Helen DimarasPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20182166; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2166
- Open AccessMaintenance of Certification: You Can Make Your Global Health Work CountTonya Arscott-Mills, Brianna Ter Haar, Jacqueline Firth, Maneesh Batra, David Githanga, Virginia A. Moyer, on behalf of the Global Health Task Force of the American Board of PediatricsPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183887; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3887
- Open AccessPhysicians’ Attitudes on Resuscitation of Extremely Premature Infants: A Systematic ReviewAlice Cavolo, Bernadette Dierckx de Casterlé, Gunnar Naulaers, Chris GastmansPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183972; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3972
We reviewed published articles on physicians’ attitudes toward resuscitation of EPIs to gain richer insight into their decision-making process for this difficult topic.
State-of-the-Art Review Article
- Open AccessA Public Health Crisis: Electronic Cigarettes, Vape, and JUULSusan C. Walley, Karen M. Wilson, Jonathan P. Winickoff, Judith GronerPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20182741; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2741
The e-cigarette is the most common tobacco product used by youth; the nicotine and toxicants in emissions may lead to addiction and other harmful health effects.
- Open AccessThe Community Access to Child Health (CATCH) Program: A 25-Year RetrospectiveBarbara Oettgen, Holly Ruch-Ross, Hope A. Barrett, Dana Bennett-Tejes, Karla Palmer, Wendy L. HobsonPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20182551; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2551
For 25 years, the CATCH program has supported pediatricians in planning or implementing innovative community-based child health initiatives.
- Open AccessEthical Issues Considered When Establishing a Pediatrics Gender Surgery CenterElizabeth R. Boskey, Judith A. Johnson, Charlotte Harrison, Jonathan M. Marron, Leah Abecassis, Allison Scobie-Carroll, Julian Willard, David A. Diamond, Amir H. Taghinia, Oren GanorPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183053; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3053
The establishment of a gender surgery center in a pediatric setting requires institutions to address a unique group of ethical and legal challenges.
- Open AccessDisclosure of Misattributed PaternityMoshe Y. Prero, Meghan Strenk, Jeremy Garrett, Ann Kessler, Jonathan M. Fanaroff, John D. LantosPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183899; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3899
When misattributed paternity is discovered as an incidental finding, clinicians must decide whether to disclose.
- Open AccessPreparing for Discharge From the Neonatal Intensive Care UnitMunish Gupta, DeWayne M. Pursley, Vincent C. SmithPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20182915; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2915
A structured, multiyear QI initiative in which multiple outcome and process measures were used successfully improved discharge readiness for families with an infant in the NICU.
- Open AccessStandardizing Clinical Response to Results of Lead Screening: A Quality Improvement StudyCourtney M. Brown, Zeina M. Samaan, Allison Glance, Amy Haering, Brookleigh Steele, Nicholas NewmanPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183085; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3085
This QI study reveals dramatic improvement in primary care system adherence to a protocol for addressing elevated lead levels.
- Open AccessNewborn Infant With Mothball Toxicity Due to Maternal IngestionMitali Sahni, Yanick Vibert, Vineet Bhandari, Ogechukwu MenkitiPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183619; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3619
Chronic maternal ingestion of mothballs during the third trimester of pregnancy causes severe hemolytic anemia and pulmonary hypertension in the mother’s newborn.
- Open AccessUse of Cardiac MRI to Assess Antitumor Efficacy of Everolimus in Sporadic Cardiac RhabdomyomaKyle A. Davis, Anudeep K. Dodeja, Abigail Clark, Kan Hor, Peter Baker, Linda H. Cripe, Timothy P. CripePediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20182495; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2495
Everolimus is a novel treatment of sporadic cardiac rhabdomyoma as revealed by serial CMRI.
- Open AccessSevere Acute Respiratory Failure in Healthy Adolescents Exposed to Trimethoprim-SulfamethoxazoleJenna O. Miller, Jane Taylor, Jennifer L. GoldmanPediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20183242; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3242
TMP-SMX is implicated in drug reactions, although pulmonary involvement is rare; we describe 5 adolescents exposed to TMP-SMX with subsequent development of severe respiratory failure.
- Open AccessAmirav I, Vandall-Walker V, Rasiah J, Saunders L. Patient and Researcher Engagement in Health Research: A Parent’s Perspective. Pediatrics. 2017;40(3):e20164127Pediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20190786; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0786
- Open AccessBarkin SL, Gesell SB, Po’e EK, Escarfuller J, Tempesti T. Culturally Tailored, Family-Centered, Behavioral Obesity Intervention for Latino-American Preschool-aged Children. Pediatrics. 2012;130(3):445–456Pediatrics Jun 2019, 143 (6) e20190813; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0813