May 2019, VOLUME 143 / ISSUE 5
Table of Contents
- Open AccessBreastfeeding in Infancy and Lipid Profile in AdolescenceL.L. Hui, Man Ki Kwok, E. Anthony S. Nelson, So Lun Lee, Gabriel M. Leung, C. Mary SchoolingPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20183075; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3075
In the prospective birth cohort Children of 1997, exclusive breastfeeding in early infancy is associated with lower LDL-C but not adiposity at 17 years.
- Open AccessParents’ Perspectives Regarding Age Restrictions for Tackling in Youth FootballSara P.D. Chrisman, Kathryn B. Whitlock, Emily Kroshus, Christina Schwien, Stanley A. Herring, Frederick P. RivaraPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182402; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2402
Investigators conducted a nationally representative survey of parents to determine popular support for instituting age restrictions on tackling in youth football.
- Open AccessWIC Food Package Changes: Trends in Childhood Obesity PrevalenceMadeleine I.G. Daepp, Steven L. Gortmaker, Y. Claire Wang, Michael W. Long, Erica L. KenneyPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182841; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2841
We analyzed whether the 2009 change to the WIC food package was associated with reduced childhood obesity among WIC participants, a low-income, vulnerable population.
- Open AccessAntibiotic Prescribing During Pediatric Direct-to-Consumer Telemedicine VisitsKristin N. Ray, Zhuo Shi, Courtney A. Gidengil, Sabrina J. Poon, Lori Uscher-Pines, Ateev MehrotraPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182491; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2491
Using claims from a large national commercial health plan, we examine antibiotic prescribing for acute respiratory illnesses during pediatric DTC telemedicine visits.
- Open AccessPostvaccination Febrile Seizure Severity and OutcomeLucy Deng, Heather Gidding, Kristine Macartney, Nigel Crawford, Jim Buttery, Michael Gold, Peter Richmond, Nicholas WoodPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182120; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2120
This prospective cohort study is used to examine FSs in children aged ≤6 years in Australia, comparing severity and outcomes of VP-FSs to NVP-FSs.
- Open AccessSleep-Related Infant Suffocation Deaths Attributable to Soft Bedding, Overlay, and WedgingAlexa B. Erck Lambert, Sharyn E. Parks, Carri Cottengim, Meghan Faulkner, Fern R. Hauck, Carrie K. Shapiro-MendozaPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20183408; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3408
In this study, we describe characteristics of SUID classified as explained suffocation, per the CDC’s classification system, by mechanism of airway obstruction (soft bedding, overlay, or wedging).
- Open AccessBlood Lead Levels Among Resettled Refugee Children in Select US States, 2010–2014Clelia Pezzi, Deborah Lee, Lori Kennedy, Jenny Aguirre, Melissa Titus, Rebecca Ford, Jennifer Cochran, Laura Smock, Blaine Mamo, Kailey Urban, Jennifer Morillo, Stephen Hughes, Colleen Payton, Kevin Scott, Jessica Montour, Jasmine Matheson, Mary Jean Brown, Tarissa MitchellPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182591; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2591
We present an examination of BLLs among a cohort of refugee children living in the United States by country of overseas medical examination and other variables.
- Open AccessHome Oxygen and 2-Year Outcomes of Preterm Infants With Bronchopulmonary DysplasiaSara B. DeMauro, Erik A. Jensen, Carla M. Bann, Edward F. Bell, Anna Maria Hibbs, Susan R. Hintz, Scott A. LorchPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182956; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2956
In this propensity score–matched study of infants with BPD, discharge on oxygen was associated with increased resource use and not with improved developmental outcomes.
- Open AccessSelf-Reported Use of Tobacco, E-cigarettes, and Marijuana Versus Urinary BiomarkersRachel Boykan, Catherine R. Messina, Gabriela Chateau, Allison Eliscu, Jonathan Tolentino, Maciej L. GoniewiczPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20183531; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3531
In this study, we compared adolescent self-reported tobacco, e-cigarette, and marijuana use to urinary biomarkers, and patterns of use were correlated with higher cotinine and THCA levels.
- Open AccessLifestyle Behavior and Mental Health in Early AdolescenceOlivia K. Loewen, Katerina Maximova, John P. Ekwaru, Erin L. Faught, Mark Asbridge, Arto Ohinmaa, Paul J. VeugelersPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20183307; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3307
Through linkage of lifestyle survey and administrative health data, this study captures the potential benefits of meeting lifestyle recommendations in childhood for adolescent mental health.
- Open AccessDisparities in Inpatient Intensity of End-of-Life Care for Complex Chronic ConditionsEmily E. Johnston, Jori Bogetz, Olga Saynina, Lisa J. Chamberlain, Smita Bhatia, Lee SandersPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182228; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2228
This California administrative database study reveals the rates of and clinical and socioeconomic disparities in inpatient end-of-life care intensity in children with CCCs.
- Open AccessSleeve Gastrectomy for Youth With Cognitive Impairment or Developmental DisabilitySarah E. Hornack, Evan P. Nadler, Jichuan Wang, Amysue Hansen, Eleanor R. MackeyPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182908; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2908
In this article, we examine the association of cognitive functioning and weight loss outcomes in adolescents with obesity undergoing LSG.
- Open AccessProvisional Validation of a Pediatric Early Warning Score for Resource-Limited SettingsSamantha L. Rosman, Valens Karangwa, Michael Law, Michael C. Monuteaux, Christine Daneau Briscoe, Natalie McCallPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20183657; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3657
In this study, we provide an assessment of the validity of a resource-limited PEWS to identify children at risk for clinical deterioration in a low-resource setting.
- Open AccessA Novel Icterometer for Hyperbilirubinemia Screening in Low-Resource SettingsAnne CC Lee, Lian V. Folger, Mahmoodur Rahman, Salahuddin Ahmed, Nazmun Nahar Bably, Lauren Schaeffer, Rachel Whelan, Pratik Panchal, Sayedur Rahman, Arun Dutta Roy, Abdullah H. BaquiPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182039; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2039
In this study, we report on the diagnostic accuracy of the Bili-ruler, a novel, low-cost icterometer, to screen for hyperbilirubinemia in low-resource settings.
- Open AccessMissed Opportunities for Rotavirus VaccinationBethany K. Sederdahl, Walter A. Orenstein, Jumi Yi, Evan J. Anderson, Robert A. BednarczykPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182498; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2498
Using the 2014 NIS, we describe risk factors for being unvaccinated for rotavirus as well as missed opportunities for rotavirus vaccination.
- Open AccessGenetic and Early-Life Environmental Influences on Dental Caries Risk: A Twin StudyMihiri J. Silva, Nicky M. Kilpatrick, Jeffrey M. Craig, David J. Manton, Pamela Leong, David P. Burgner, Katrina J. ScurrahPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20183499; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3499
In this longitudinal twin study, environmental rather than genetic factors predict dental caries risk, and modifiable risk factors are present from the prenatal period onward.
- Open AccessSocioeconomic Disadvantage in Infancy and Academic and Self-Regulation OutcomesMeredith O’Connor, Shiau Chong, Delyse Hutchinson, Ann Sanson, Jennifer McIntosh, Craig A. Olsson, Sharon GoldfeldPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182640; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2640
With this study, we explore how the timing of children’s exposure to socioeconomic disadvantages relates to different aspects of the children’s development.
- Open AccessMediators of Improved Adherence to Infant Safe Sleep Using a Mobile Health InterventionRachel Y. Moon, Michael J. Corwin, Stephen Kerr, Timothy Heeren, Eve Colson, Ann Kellams, Nicole L. Geller, Emily Drake, Kawai Tanabe, Fern R HauckPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182799; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2799
This mediation analysis was conducted to determine mediators of improvements in infant SS practices in an effective mHealth intervention.
- Open AccessPlatelet Transfusion for PDA Closure in Preterm Infants: A Randomized Controlled TrialJogender Kumar, Sourabh Dutta, Venkataseshan Sundaram, Shiv Sajan Saini, Ratti Ram Sharma, Neelam VarmaPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182565; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2565
In this RCT, we evaluated a liberal platelet-transfusion strategy as a novel therapeutic intervention for hs-PDA among thrombocytopenic preterm infants.
- Open AccessGestational Age, Birth Weight, and Outcomes Six Years After the Norwood ProcedureThomas A. Miller, Nancy S. Ghanayem, Jane W. Newburger, Brian W. McCrindle, Chenwei Hu, Aaron G. DeWitt, James F. Cnota, Felicia L. Tractenberg, Victoria L. Pemberton, Michael J. Wolf, Jodie K. Votava-Smith, Carlen G. Fifer, Linda M. Lambert, Amee Shah, Eric M. Graham, Christian Pizarro, Jeffrey P. Jacobs, Stephen G. Miller, L. LuAnn Minich, for the Pediatric Heart Network InvestigatorsPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182577; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2577
Controlling for the overlapping and competing risks of lower gestational age and birth weight demonstrates they have independent effects on different outcomes in HLHS.
- Open AccessForeign-Body Ingestions of Young Children Treated in US Emergency Departments: 1995–2015Danielle Orsagh-Yentis, Rebecca J. McAdams, Kristin J. Roberts, Lara B. McKenziePediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20181988; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-1988
In this study, we describe the epidemiology of FBIs of children <6 years of age who presented to US EDs between 1995 and 2015.
- Open AccessMaternal Immigrant Status and Readiness to Transition to Home From the NICUElisabeth C. McGowan, Layla S. Abdulla, Katheleen K. Hawes, Richard Tucker, Betty R. VohrPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182657; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2657
The needs and perceptions of immigrant families with preterm infants during the transition from hospital to home are explored.
- Open AccessAdolescent and Young Adult Cancer Patients’ Experiences With Treatment Decision-makingJennifer W. Mack, Karen M. Fasciano, Susan D. BlockPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182800; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2800
This study surveyed 203 AYAs with newly diagnosed cancer to evaluate decision-making preferences, decisional engagement, and regret.
- Open AccessPsychotropic Medication Use in Parents of Children Diagnosed With CancerHanin Salem, Elisabeth Wreford Andersen, Susanne O. Dalton, Kjeld Schmiegelow, Jeanette Falck Winther, Wendy G. Lichtenthal, Christoffer Johansen, Pernille E. BidstrupPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182605; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2605
Using national registries, we conducted the first population-based study to objectively examine the risk for antidepressants, anxiolytics, and hypnotics in parents of children with cancer.
- Open AccessHealth Care Use Over 3 Years After Adolescent SBIRTStacy Sterling, Andrea H. Kline-Simon, Ashley Jones, Lauren Hartman, Katrina Saba, Constance Weisner, Sujaya ParthasarathyPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182803; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2803
Providing SBIRT for adolescents in primary care may help reduce health care use and medical, mental health, and substance use comorbidities.
- Open AccessLong-term Methimazole Therapy in Juvenile Graves’ Disease: A Randomized TrialFereidoun Azizi, Miralireza Takyar, Elham Madreseh, Atieh AmouzegarPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20183034; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3034
This study was designed to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of LT methimazole treatment and to compare remission rates in patients after LT and ST therapy.
From the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Open AccessTransporting Children With Special Health Care NeedsJoseph O’Neil, Benjamin Hoffman, COUNCIL ON INJURY, VIOLENCE, AND POISON PREVENTIONPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20190724; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0724
- Open AccessComprehensive Health Evaluation of the Newly Adopted ChildVeronnie Faye Jones, Elaine E. Schulte, COUNCIL ON FOSTER CARE, ADOPTION, AND KINSHIP CAREPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20190657; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0657
- Open AccessHealth Supervision for Children With Neurofibromatosis Type 1David T. Miller, Debra Freedenberg, Elizabeth Schorry, Nicole J. Ullrich, David Viskochil, Bruce R. Korf, COUNCIL ON GENETICS, AMERICAN COLLEGE OF MEDICAL GENETICS AND GENOMICSPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20190660; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0660
- Open AccessAligning Inpatient Pediatric Research With Settings of Care: A Call to ActionCorrie E. McDaniel, Rebecca Jennings, Alan R. Schroeder, Natalia Paciorkowski, Michelle Hofmann, JoAnna LeyenaarPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182648; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2648
- Open AccessTransition to Adult Health Care and the Need for a Pregnant PauseRebecca E. Sadun, Richard J. Chung, Gary R. MaslowPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20190541; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0541
- Open AccessCost-effectiveness of Palivizumab for Respiratory Syncytial Virus: A Systematic ReviewStephen Mac, Amanda Sumner, Samuel Duchesne-Belanger, Robert Stirling, Matthew Tunis, Beate SanderPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20184064; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-4064
In this systematic review, we investigate the cost-effectiveness of palivizumab prophylaxis for RSV stratified by setting and infant population subgroups relevant to health-policy decision-making.
State-of-the-Art Review Article
- Open AccessTeenagers, Sexting, and the LawVictor C. Strasburger, Harry Zimmerman, Jeff R. Temple, Sheri MadiganPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20183183; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3183
Teen sexting is common. State and federal law vary considerably. We argue that consensual teen sexting is an educational not a law enforcement issue.
- Open AccessResearch Gaps in Primary Pediatric HypertensionPerdita Taylor-Zapata, Carissa M. Baker-Smith, Gilbert Burckart, Stephen R. Daniels, Joseph T. Flynn, George Giacoia, Dionna Green, Aaron S. Kelly, Mona Khurana, Jennifer S. Li, Charlotte Pratt, Elaine M. Urbina, Anne ZajicekPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20183517; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3517
Drawing on an expert meeting in 2017, we describe current practices in diagnosing and treating pediatric hypertension and propose ways to fill research gaps.
- Open AccessInfant With Trisomy 18 and Hypoplastic Left Heart SyndromeStephanie Kukora, Janice Firn, Naomi Laventhal, Christian Vercler, Bryanna Moore, John D. LantosPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20183779; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-3779
Doctors must decide what to do when parents demand cardiac surgery for an infant with trisomy 18 and hypoplastic left heart syndrome.
- Open AccessImproving Care for Sickle Cell Pain Crisis Using a Multidisciplinary ApproachLyn Balsamo, Veronika Shabanova, Judith Carbonella, Mary V. Szondy, Karen Kalbfeld, Donna-Ann Thomas, Karen Santucci, Matthew Grossman, Farzana PashankarPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182218; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2218
Through implementation of a unique multidisciplinary program including pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic interventions, hospital days decreased by 61% for children with SCD VOC.
- Open AccessReduction in Unintended Extubations in a Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care UnitJohn P. Galiote, Michelande Ridoré, Jessica Carman, Lisa Zell, Karen Brant, Cheyenne Gayle, Billie L. Short, Darren Klugman, Lamia SoghierPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20180897; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0897
Multiple interventions employed over 2 epochs were used to reduce the rate of UEs in the NICU from a mean of 1.75 to 0.68 events per 100 ventilation days.
- Open AccessA Healthy Toddler With Fever and LethargyNeha A. Suri, Colleen W. Meehan, Anjna MelwaniPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20180412; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0412
A 21-month-old girl with a recent history of fever presented with lethargy and was diagnosed with a well-known condition secondary to a rare disorder.
- Open AccessTofacitinib Treatment of Refractory Systemic Juvenile Idiopathic ArthritisZhixiang Huang, Pui Y. Lee, Xiaoyan Yao, Shaoling Zheng, Tianwang LiPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182845; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2845
The JAK inhibitor tofacitinib may be an effective oral alternative to available biologics for treatment of refractory sJIA.
- Open AccessBeyond an Obvious Cause of Cholestasis in a Toddler: Compound Heterozygosity for ABCB11 MutationsMaria Fotoulaki, Styliani Giza, Milan Jirsa, Tassos Grammatikopoulos, Rosa Miquel, Prodromos Hytiroglou, Ioannis Tsitouridis, A.S. KniselyPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182146; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2146
A 27-month-old girl with severe cholestasis, a compound heterozygote for PFIC2-associated and BRIC2-associated ABCB11 mutations, over 5 years developed cirrhosis necessitating liver transplant.
- Open AccessColchicine: An Impressive Effect on Posttransplant Capillary Leak Syndrome and Renal FailureEnrico Cocchi, Federica Chiale, Bruno Gianoglio, Luca Deorsola, Carlo Pace Napoleone, Franca Fagioli, Licia PeruzziPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20182820; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2820
In this article, we show the efficacy of colchicine in posttransplant AKI due to CLS, only palliated by surgical drainages and CRRT, in 2 pediatric life-threatening cases.
Letters to the Editor
- Open AccessRE: Management of Neonates Born at ≤34 6/7 Weeks’ Gestation With Suspected or Proven Early-Onset Bacterial SepsisDavid J. BurchfieldPediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20190533A; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0533A
- Open AccessMbaeyi SA, Joseph SJ, Blain A, Wang X, Hariri S, MacNeil JR. Meningococcal Disease Among College-Aged Young Adults: 2014–2016. Pediatrics. 2019;143(1):e20182130Pediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20190342; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0342
- Open AccessHeard-Garris N, Winkelman TNA, Choi H, et al. Health Care Use and Health Behaviors Among Young Adults With History of Parental Incarceration. Pediatrics. 2018;142(3):e20174314Pediatrics May 2019, 143 (5) e20190534; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2019-0534