October 2018, VOLUME 142 / ISSUE 4
Table of Contents
- Open AccessTransition Planning Among US Youth With and Without Special Health Care NeedsLydie A. Lebrun-Harris, Margaret A. McManus, Samhita M. Ilango, Mallory Cyr, Sarah Beth McLellan, Marie Y. Mann, Patience H. WhitePediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20180194; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0194
Health care transition performance results from the 2016 NSCH are presented for youth with and without SHCNs.
- Open AccessUse of CT for Head Trauma: 2007–2015Brett Burstein, Julia E.M. Upton, Heloisa Fuzaro Terra, Mark I. NeumanPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20180814; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0814
In this study, we used a nationwide US sample to evaluate the trend in CT neuroimaging for children with head injuries presenting to EDs.
- Open AccessLanguage Experience in the Second Year of Life and Language Outcomes in Late ChildhoodJill Gilkerson, Jeffrey A. Richards, Steven F. Warren, D. Kimbrough Oller, Rosemary Russo, Betty VohrPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20174276; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-4276
In this 10-year study, we explore the relationship between early childhood language experience and language and cognitive skills in late childhood.
- Open AccessTiming and Duration of Pre- and Postnatal Homelessness and the Health of Young ChildrenMegan Sandel, Richard Sheward, Stephanie Ettinger de Cuba, Sharon Coleman, Timothy Heeren, Maureen M. Black, Patrick H. Casey, Mariana Chilton, John Cook, Diana Becker Cutts, Ruth Rose-Jacobs, Deborah A. FrankPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20174254; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-4254
In this study, we illustrate that there is no safe level of homelessness. Our findings justify interventions to stabilize families as quickly as possible in adequate, affordable housing.
- Open AccessChildhood Seizures After PhototherapyThomas B. Newman, Yvonne W. Wu, Michael W. Kuzniewicz, Barbara A. Grimes, Charles E. McCullochPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20180648; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0648
In this retrospective cohort study of nearly half a million births, we confirm an association reported from Denmark that newborn phototherapy is associated with childhood epilepsy in boys.
- Open AccessHyperbilirubinemia, Phototherapy, and Childhood AsthmaMichael W. Kuzniewicz, Hamid Niki, Eileen M. Walsh, Charles E. McCulloch, Thomas B. NewmanPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20180662; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0662
In this study of 109 212 infants with measured bilirubin levels, we examine if hyperbilirubinemia or phototherapy is associated with childhood asthma as some previous studies have revealed.
- Open AccessTransgender Adolescent Suicide BehaviorRussell B. Toomey, Amy K. Syvertsen, Maura ShramkoPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20174218; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-4218
We document disparities in transgender adolescents’ suicide behavior; female to male youth and those who do not identify as exclusively male or female are at the greatest risk.
- Open AccessAdolescent Use of Different E-cigarette ProductsRobert McMillen, Susanne Tanski, Karen Wilson, Jonathan D. Klein, Jonathan P. WinickoffPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20180260; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0260
Most adolescents use open-system e-cigarettes, especially frequent users. This pattern of use suggests a starter product phenomenon, with a graduation to potentially more dangerous products.
- Open AccessInfant Feeding and Weight Gain: Separating Breast Milk From Breastfeeding and Formula From FoodMeghan B. Azad, Lorena Vehling, Deborah Chan, Annika Klopp, Nathan C. Nickel, Jonathan M. McGavock, Allan B. Becker, Piushkumar J. Mandhane, Stuart E. Turvey, Theo J. Moraes, Mark S. Taylor, Diana L. Lefebvre, Malcolm R. Sears, Padmaja Subbarao, on behalf of the CHILD Study InvestigatorsPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20181092; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-1092
Breastfed infants are less likely to become overweight. This association is dose dependent, diminished with formula supplementation, and weaker when breast milk is fed from a bottle.
- Open AccessIncidence of Congenital Hypothyroidism Over 37 Years in IrelandNiamh McGrath, Colin P. Hawkes, Ciara M. McDonnell, Declan Cody, Susan M. O’Connell, Philip D. Mayne, Nuala P. MurphyPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20181199; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-1199
In this study, we describe and analyze the significant increase in cases of CHT in the Republic of Ireland over a 37-year period.
- Open AccessModes of Death Within a Children’s HospitalAmy Trowbridge, Jennifer K. Walter, Eric McConathey, Wynne Morrison, Chris FeudtnerPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20174182; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-4182
We describe how children died within a children’s hospital over the course of 3 years and identify demographic and clinical factors that are associated with the modes of death.
- Open AccessComprehensive Community-Based Intervention and Asthma Outcomes in African American AdolescentsSylvie Naar, Deborah Ellis, Phillippe Cunningham, Amy L. Pennar, Phebe Lam, Naomi C. Brownstein, Jean-Marie BruzzesePediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20173737; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3737
A comprehensive family- and community-based intervention was used to improve health outcomes in African American adolescents who are at high risk for poor morbidity and mortality.
- Open AccessAlcohol Use and Alcohol-Interactive Medications Among Medically Vulnerable YouthElissa R. Weitzman, Kara M. Magane, Lauren E. Wisk, Joseph Allario, Elizabeth Harstad, Sharon LevyPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20174026; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-4026
Alcohol use is common among youth. In this report, we investigate alcohol use among youth who are medically vulnerable and test whether medication use moderates risk.
- Open AccessAutomated External Defibrillator Application Before EMS Arrival in Pediatric Cardiac ArrestsIqbal El-Assaad, Sadeer G. Al-Kindi, Bryan McNally, Kimberly Vellano, Sarah Worley, Anne S. Tang, Peter F. Aziz, CARES Surveillance GroupPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20171903; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1903
Using pediatric data from CARES, we examine in this article patient- and neighborhood-level characteristics associated with pre-EMS AED application.
- Open AccessInfant Walker–Related Injuries in the United StatesAriel Sims, Thitphalak Chounthirath, Jingzhen Yang, Nichole L. Hodges, Gary A. SmithPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20174332; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-4332
In this study, we demonstrate the decline in infant walker–related injuries over 25 years and investigate the effect of the 2010 federal safety standard on these injuries.
- Open AccessEye Findings in Infants With Suspected or Confirmed Antenatal Zika Virus ExposureIrena Tsui, Maria Elisabeth Lopes Moreira, Julia D. Rossetto, Zilton Vasconcelos, Stephanie L. Gaw, Luiza M. Neves, Olivia A. Zin, Lorena Haefeli, Joel Carlos Barros Silveira Filho, Saint Clair Gomes, Kristina Adachi, Marcos Vinicius da Silva Pone, Sheila Moura Pone, Jose Paulo Pereira, Rubens Belfort, Vaithilingaraja Arumugaswami, Patricia Brasil, Karin Nielsen-Saines, Andrea A. ZinPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20181104; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-1104
In this study, we characterize ophthalmic manifestations of antenatal ZIKV exposure in infants who were referred for evaluation during the 2015–2016 Rio de Janeiro outbreak.
- Open AccessEpigenetic Programming by Maternal Behavior in the Human InfantBarry M. Lester, Elisabeth Conradt, Linda L. LaGasse, Edward Z. Tronick, James F. Padbury, Carmen J. MarsitPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20171890; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1890
A human replication of rodent work is used to relate maternal care to epigenetic variation and reduced infant stress with implications for the positive effects of breastfeeding.
- Open AccessBlood Pressure Elevation and Risk of Moyamoya Syndrome in Patients With Trisomy 21Jonathan D. Santoro, Sarah Lee, Michael Mlynash, Thuy Nguyen, Daniel V. Lazzareschi, Lironn D. Kraler, Elizabeth W. Mayne, Gary K. SteinbergPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20180840; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0840
Through retrospective review, we found that BP elevations in individuals with DS foreshadow symptomatic MMS 18 months before presentation.
- Open AccessLong-term Outcome of Resective Epilepsy Surgery in Patients With Lennox-Gastaut SyndromeJoon Won Kang, Soyong Eom, William Hong, Hye Eun Kwon, Soyoung Park, Ara Ko, Hoon-Chul Kang, Joon Soo Lee, Young-Mock Lee, Dong Seok Kim, Heung Dong KimPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20180449; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0449
In this study, we investigated the long-term seizure and adaptive function outcome of epilepsy surgery in patients with LGS.
- Open AccessGeneral Pediatricians and Value-Based PaymentsJoel S. Tieder, Blake Sisk, Mark Hudak, Julia E. Richerson, James M. PerrinPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20180502; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0502
Using a national of survey of pediatricians, we describe the views and experience of general pediatricians with VBPs.
- Open AccessEarly Language Exposure and Middle School Language and IQ: Implications for Primary PreventionAlan L. Mendelsohn, Perri KlassPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20182234; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2234
- Open AccessChild Mortality in the United States: Bridging Palliative Care and Public Health PerspectivesJoAnna K. Leyenaar, Jori F. BogetzPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20181927; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-1927
From the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Open AccessEnsuring Comprehensive Care and Support for Transgender and Gender-Diverse Children and AdolescentsJason Rafferty, COMMITTEE ON PSYCHOSOCIAL ASPECTS OF CHILD AND FAMILY HEALTH, COMMITTEE ON ADOLESCENCE, SECTION ON LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, AND TRANSGENDER HEALTH AND WELLNESSPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20182162; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2162
- Open AccessThe Role of Integrated Care in a Medical Home for Patients With a Fetal Alcohol Spectrum DisorderRenee M. Turchi, Vincent C. Smith, COMMITTEE ON SUBSTANCE USE AND PREVENTION, COUNCIL ON CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIESPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20182333; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2333
- Open AccessEliciting Narratives to Inform Care for Infants With Trisomy 18Meaghann S. Weaver, Lois J. Starr, Paige N. Austin, Christina L. Stevenson, James M. HammelPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20180321; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0321
- Open AccessInternational Community Access to Child Health Program: 10 Years of Improving Child HealthRachel A. Umoren, Mohamed A. Mohamed, Koye A. Oyerinde, Yvonne E. Vaucher, Ann T. Behrmann, Michael Canarie, Rajesh Dudani, Mirzada Kurbasic, Molly J. Moore, Alcy R. Torres, Manuel Vides, Donna StatonPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20172848; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2848
State-of-the-Art Review Article
- Open AccessRecent Developments in Atopic DermatitisEric J. Yang, Sahil Sekhon, Isabelle M. Sanchez, Kristen M. Beck, Tina BhutaniPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20181102; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-1102
In this article, we review recent updates in the comorbidities, quality of life effects, pathophysiology, management techniques, and therapeutics for AD.
- Open AccessMedical Marijuana for Minors May Be Considered Child AbuseLarissa Hines, Jill Glick, Kristin Bilka, John D. LantosPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20174310; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-4310
A child with cancer and an altered mental status has ingested marijuana. His mother gave it to him. Should this be considered child abuse?
- Open AccessGrowth Hormone Therapy for a Child With Severe Cognitive ImpairmentVincent E. Horne, David E. Sandberg, Melissa Gardner, John D. Lantos, David B. AllenPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20173938; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3938
Doctors and parents face a tough ethical dilemma in deciding whether to initiate GH therapy for a child with ISS and cognitive impairment.
- Open AccessGuideline Adoption for Community-Acquired Pneumonia in the Outpatient SettingLilliam Ambroggio, Colleen Mangeot, Eileen Murtagh Kurowski, Camille Graham, Paul Korn, Marcie Strasser, Charles Cavallo, Katherine Brady, Suzanne Campanella, Caitlin Clohessy, William B. Brinkman, Samir S. ShahPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20180331; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0331
Adoption of pediatric pneumonia guidelines in the outpatient setting.
- Open AccessA Quality Improvement Initiative: Reducing Blood Culture Contamination in a Children’s HospitalRana E. El Feghaly, Jahnavi Chatterjee, Kristin Dowdy, Lisa M. Stempak, Stephanie Morgan, William Needham, Kesha Prystupa, Marie KennedyPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20180244; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0244
Through standardization, optimization of blood volumes, and education, we reduced blood culture contamination rates to a sustainable low rate at our children’s hospital.
- Open AccessSertraline-Induced Rhabdomyolysis, Trismus, and Cardiac Arrest in a ChildPeter J. Holmberg, Grace Arteaga, Brenda M. Schiltz, James HommePediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20180804; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0804
Revealing a potentially fatal complication of a commonly used medication, we illustrate with this case the complex pharmaco-physiologic and interindividual differences in medication efficacy and side effects.
- Open AccessNijmegen Breakage Syndrome Complicated With Primary Pulmonary GranulomasHonorata Marczak, Edyta Heropolitańska-Pliszka, Renata Langfort, Danuta Roik, Katarzyna GrzelaPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20180122; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0122
This is a unique case of a child with NBS with symptoms mimicking pneumonia, which was diagnosed as primary pulmonary noncaseating granulomas without nodular involvement and revealed by lung biopsy.
- Open AccessBrugada Syndrome Associated With Adolescent Loperamide AbuseBryan Stefek, L. Timothy Wolfe, Mark CohenPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20181423; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-1423
Loperamide has the potential for abuse and serious cardiovascular complications. We present the relationship between loperamide abuse and BrS in an adolescent.
Letters to the Editor
- Open AccessEmergency Preparedness Is Equally Important as Response in Optimizing the Health and Well-being of the Nation’s ChildrenGeorgina Peacock, Marvin So, Jessica FranksPediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20182251A; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2251A
Letter to the Editor
- Open AccessCarey WA, Weaver AL, Mara KC, Clark RH. Inhaled Nitric Oxide in Extremely Premature Neonates With Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Pediatrics. 2018;141(3):e20173108Pediatrics Oct 2018, 142 (4) e20182150; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-2150