Adolescent Immunizations and Other Clinical Preventive Services: A Needle and a Hook?
- Karen R. Broder, MD, FAAPa,b,
- Amanda C. Cohn, MDa,b,
- Benjamin Schwartz, MDb,c,
- Jonathan D. Klein, MD, MPH, FAAPd,
- Martin M. Fisher, MD, FAAPe,
- Daniel B. Fishbein, MDa,b,
- Christina Mijalski, MPHa,
- Gale R. Burstein, MD, MPH, FAAPf,
- Mary E. Vernon-Smiley, MD, MPHg,
- Mary M. McCauley, MTSCa,
- Charles J. Wibbelsman, MD, FAAPh,i,
- for the Working Group on Adolescent Prevention Priorities
- aNational Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia;
- bCommissioned Corps of the US Public Health Service, Atlanta, Georgia;
- cNational Vaccine Program Office, Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, Georgia;
- dDepartments of Pediatrics and Community and Preventive Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York;
- eDivision of Adolescent Medicine, Schneider Children's Hospital of the North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System, New Hyde Park, New York;
- fErie County Department of Health, Buffalo, New York;
- gNational Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia;
- hDivision of Adolescent Medicine, Kaiser Permanente, San Francisco, California;
- iCommittee on Adolescence, American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village, Illinois
* The definition of “adolescent” differs across studies and organizations; in this report, an adolescent is a person aged 11 to 18 years, unless otherwise specified.
Financial Disclosures: Dr Fisher is a member of the Speakers Bureau for Merck & Co. Dr Burstein is a member of the Speakers Bureaus for Merck & Co. and GlaxoSmithKline. The other authors have indicated they have no financial relationships relevant to this article to disclose.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the funding agency. Dr Broder's current affiliation is Immunization Safety Office, Office of the Chief Science Officer, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA. Dr Fishbein's current affiliation is National Center for Preparedness, Detection, and Control of Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA.