June 2018, VOLUME 141 / ISSUE 6
Table of Contents
- Open AccessHospitalization for Suicide Ideation or Attempt: 2008–2015Gregory Plemmons, Matthew Hall, Stephanie Doupnik, James Gay, Charlotte Brown, Whitney Browning, Robert Casey, Katherine Freundlich, David P. Johnson, Carrie Lind, Kris Rehm, Susan Thomas, Derek WilliamsPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20172426; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2426
With this study, we examined trends in encounters for SI and SA in children and adolescents ages 5 to 17 years at US children’s hospitals from 2008 to 2015.
- Open AccessTrends in Cannabis and Cigarette Use Among Parents With Children at Home: 2002 to 2015Renee D. Goodwin, Keely Cheslack-Postava, Samantha Santoscoy, Nina Bakoyiannis, Deborah S. Hasin, Bradley N. Collins, Stephen J. Lepore, Melanie M. WallPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173506; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3506
Cannabis use is increasing among parents with children living in the home.
- Open AccessManagement of Type 1 Diabetes With a Very Low–Carbohydrate DietBelinda S. Lennerz, Anna Barton, Richard K. Bernstein, R. David Dikeman, Carrie Diulus, Sarah Hallberg, Erinn T. Rhodes, Cara B. Ebbeling, Eric C. Westman, William S. Yancy, David S. LudwigPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173349; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3349
Among 316 participants with T1DM who follow a VLCD, the mean HbA1c was 5.67%, with low rates of hypoglycemia and other acute complications.
- Open AccessIntergenerational Associations of Parent Adverse Childhood Experiences and Child Health OutcomesFélice Lê-Scherban, Xi Wang, Kathryn H. Boyle-Steed, Lee M. PachterPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20174274; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-4274
Using cross-sectional survey data, we examine associations of parent-reported current child health with parent ACE exposure.
- Open AccessThe Cycle of Child Protection Services Involvement: A Cohort Study of Adolescent MothersElizabeth Wall-Wieler, Marni Brownell, Deepa Singal, Nathan Nickel, Leslie L. RoosPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173119; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3119
Almost half of children born to adolescent mothers who were in the care of CPS when they gave birth are placed in child protective care before their second birthday.
- Open AccessParental Desensitization to Gun Violence in PG-13 MoviesDaniel Romer, Patrick E. Jamieson, Kathleen Hall Jamieson, Robert Lull, Azeez AdebimpePediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173491; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3491
Parents are more willing to allow children to view gun violence in PG-13 movies when it is perceived as justified.
- Open AccessClinical Features of Children With Autism Who Passed 18-Month ScreeningRoald A. Øien, Synnve Schjølberg, Fred R. Volkmar, Frederick Shic, Domenic V. Cicchetti, Anders Nordahl-Hansen, Nina Stenberg, Mady Hornig, Alexandra Havdahl, Anne-Siri Øyen, Pamela Ventola, Ezra S. Susser, Martin R. Eisemann, Katarzyna ChawarskaPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173596; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3596
This is the first study in which researchers examine developmental and temperamental characteristics of boys and girls screening negative for autism at 18 months.
- Open AccessSafety of Oral Propranolol for Infantile HemangiomaCatherine Droitcourt, Sandrine Kerbrat, Caroline Rault, Marie-Anne Botrel, André Happe, Ronan Garlantezec, Bernard Guillot, Jean-Marc Schleich, Emmanuel Oger, Alain DupuyPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173783; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3783
In this study on a large nationwide database based on health reimbursements, we confirm the overall good safety profile of oral propranolol in children with IH.
- Open AccessEpidemiology and Risk Factors of Infection in Early ChildhoodNadja Hawwa Vissing, Bo Lund Chawes, Morten Arendt Rasmussen, Hans BisgaardPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20170933; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-0933
We studied childhood infections combined with a wide range of environmental risk factors, showing that environmental exposures can be used to explain only a minor fraction of interindividual variation.
- Open AccessParent-Provider Communication of HPV Vaccine HesitancyLaura A. Shay, Austin S. Baldwin, Andrea C. Betts, Emily G. Marks, Robin T. Higashi, Richard L. Street, Donna Persaud, Jasmin A. TiroPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20172312; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2312
With our qualitative analysis of audio recordings, we suggest that engaging parents who express HPV vaccine hesitancy and addressing concerns may result in high rates of same-day vaccination.
- Open AccessAdolescent Consumption of Sports DrinksKyla Cordrey, Sarah A. Keim, Ruth Milanaik, Andrew AdesmanPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20172784; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2784
National US data reveal a recent increase in adolescents consuming sports drinks, with teenagers with obesity and those who watch lots of TV being of particular concern.
- Open AccessSexual Risk Outcomes of an Emotion Regulation Intervention for At-Risk Early AdolescentsChristopher D. Houck, David H. Barker, Wendy Hadley, Maya Menefee, Larry K. BrownPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20172525; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2525
With this study, we examined the efficacy of teaching ER strategies for reducing sexual risk behaviors among early adolescents with suspected mental health symptoms.
- Open AccessPredictors of Medication Continuity in Children With ADHDWilliam B. Brinkman, Heidi Sucharew, Jessica Hartl Majcher, Jeffery N. EpsteinPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20172580; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2580
Through conduct of a prospective longitudinal cohort, we identify factors that promote ADHD medication continuity from a variety of domains.
- Open AccessPediatric ADHD Medication Exposures Reported to US Poison Control CentersSamantha A. King, Marcel J. Casavant, Henry A. Spiller, Nichole L. Hodges, Thitphalak Chounthirath, Gary A. SmithPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173872; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3872
With this epidemiological study, we investigate the characteristics and trends of pediatric exposures to ADHD medications reported to PCCs in the United States.
- Open AccessUnit-Dose Packaging and Unintentional Buprenorphine-Naloxone ExposuresGeorge Sam Wang, S. Geoffrey Severtson, Gabrielle E. Bau, Richard C. Dart, Jody L. GreenPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20174232; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-4232
In this study, we demonstrate a significant decrease in pediatric exposures to buprenorphine-naloxone products associated with the shift to UDP in over 80% of products.
- Open AccessCognitive Development and Quality of Life Associated With BPD in 10-Year-Olds Born PretermSudhir Sriram, Michael D. Schreiber, Michael E. Msall, Karl C.K. Kuban, Robert M. Joseph, T. Michael O’ Shea, Elizabeth N. Allred, Alan Leviton, for the ELGAN Study InvestigatorsPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20172719; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2719
Children born premature and experiencing BPD are at increased risk for neurocognitive, behavioral, and social dysfunctions.
- Open AccessHepatitis C Virus Screening Among Children Exposed During PregnancyCatherine A. Chappell, Sharon L. Hillier, David Crowe, Leslie A. Meyn, Debra L. Bogen, Elizabeth E. KransPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173273; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3273
Despite the increasing prevalence of HCV infection among pregnant women, most exposed infants are not screened for perinatal acquisition of the HCV.
- Open AccessHospital-Based Quality Measures for Pediatric Mental Health CareNaomi S. Bardach, Q Burkhart, Laura P. Richardson, Carol P. Roth, J. Michael Murphy, Layla Parast, Courtney A. Gidengil, Jordan Marmet, Maria T. Britto, Rita Mangione-SmithPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173554; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3554
The results of development and field testing of 8 new quality measures used to assess delivery of pediatric mental health care in the hospital setting (ED and inpatient).
- Open AccessFree Tax Services in Pediatric ClinicsLucy E. Marcil, Michael K. Hole, Larissa M. Wenren, Megan S. Schuler, Barry S. Zuckerman, Robert J. VinciPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173608; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3608
With this study, we provide initial evidence that free tax services in pediatric clinics may maximize tax refunds, particularly the EITC, which impacts child health.
- Open AccessThermal Effect of a Woolen Cap in Low Birth Weight Infants During Kangaroo CareFrancesco Cavallin, Giulia Segafredo, Damiano Pizzol, William Massavon, Marta Lusiani, Olivier Wingi, Manuela De Vivo, Liviana Da Dalt, Chiara Boscardin, Fabio Manenti, Giovanni Putoto, Daniele Trevisanuto, on behalf of the CAP-KMC GroupPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173073; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3073
A woolen cap does not improve time spent in normothermia in LBWIs during KMC in a low-resource setting.
- Open AccessShort-term Seizure Outcomes in Childhood EpilepsyKari Modalsli Aaberg, Inger Johanne Bakken, Morten I. Lossius, Camilla Lund Søraas, Kamath K. Tallur, Camilla Stoltenberg, Richard Chin, Pål SurénPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20174016; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-4016
In this study, we provide updated information about short-term seizure outcomes in childhood epilepsy on the basis of data from the world’s largest child cohort.
- Open AccessInterferon-γ Release Assay Performance for Tuberculosis in ChildhoodAlexander W. Kay, Shamim M. Islam, Kristen Wendorf, Janice Westenhouse, Pennan M. BarryPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173918; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3918
Analysis of pediatric TB cases reported to the CDPH TB registry yields new data on IGRA use and performance.
- Open AccessSafety II Behavior in a Pediatric Intensive Care UnitJenna Merandi, Kathryn Vannatta, J. Terrance Davis, Richard E. McClead, Richard Brilli, Thomas BartmanPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20180018; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0018
Identifying the factors allowing for resilient performance in individuals and microsystems may lead to improved safety outcomes.
- Open AccessImproving Screening for Autism Spectrum Disorder: Is It Time for Something New?Sarabeth Broder-Fingert, Emily Feinberg, Michael SilversteinPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20180965; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0965
- Open AccessUnderstanding the Intergenerational Cycle of Child Protective Service InvolvementRachel P. Berger, Erin Dalton, Kristine CampbellPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20180577; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0577
From the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Open AccessAdvocating for Life Support Training of Children, Parents, Caregivers, School Personnel, and the PublicJames M. Callahan, Susan M. Fuchs, COMMITTEE ON PEDIATRIC EMERGENCY MEDICINEPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20180704; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0704
- Open AccessAdvocating for Life Support Training of Children, Parents, Caregivers, School Personnel, and the PublicSusan M. Fuchs, COMMITTEE ON PEDIATRIC EMERGENCY MEDICINEPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20180705; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0705
- Open Access13 Things Pediatricians Should Know (and Do) About 13 Reasons WhyMargot Zarin-Pass, Phillip Plager, Michael B. PittPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20180575; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0575
- Open AccessBenefits of Early Referral to Pediatric Palliative Care for a Child With a Rare DiseaseChristina Vadeboncoeur, Mindy McHardyPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173417; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3417
- Open AccessNonpharmacologic Treatments for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: A Systematic ReviewAdam P. Goode, Remy R. Coeytaux, Gary R. Maslow, Naomi Davis, Sherika Hill, Behrouz Namdari, Nancy M. Allen LaPointe, Deanna Befus, Kathryn R. Lallinger, Samantha E. Bowen, Andrzej Kosinski, Amanda J. McBroom, Gillian D. Sanders, Alex R. KemperPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20180094; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0094
In this AHRQ systematic review, we explore the evidence supporting the use of nonpharmacologic interventions for the treatment of children and adolescents with ADHD.
- Open AccessHousing Assistance and Child Health: A Systematic ReviewNatalie Slopen, Andrew Fenelon, Sandra Newman, Michel BoudreauxPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20172742; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2742
With this systematic review, we summarize and evaluate studies in which authors measure the association between publicly supported housing assistance programs and child health in the United States.
- Open AccessObesity, Blood Pressure, and Retinal Vessels: A Meta-analysisSabrina Köchli, Katharina Endes, Denis Infanger, Lukas Zahner, Henner HanssenPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20174090; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-4090
Retinal microvascular alterations can be diagnosed early in life, and timely risk stratification in children may help to counteract development of CVD in adulthood.
- Open AccessThe Biomarker S100B and Mild Traumatic Brain Injury: A Meta-analysisCharlotte Oris, Bruno Pereira, Julie Durif, Jeanne Simon-Pimmel, Christoph Castellani, Sergio Manzano, Vincent Sapin, Damien BouvierPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20180037; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0037
For the first time, a meta-analysis is realized to underline usefulness of S100B as a biomarker of intracranial lesions in children with mild head trauma.
State-of-the-Art Review Article
- Open AccessOutpatient Antibiotic Use and the Need for Increased Antibiotic Stewardship EffortsRachel M. Zetts, Andrea Stoesz, Brian A. Smith, David Y. HyunPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20174124; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-4124
In this article, we summarize outpatient antibiotic prescribing practices, factors that influence prescribing decisions, and the role of antibiotic stewardship in addressing inappropriate use.
- Open AccessEthical Challenges Raised by OpenNotes for Pediatric and Adolescent PatientsFabienne C. Bourgeois, Catherine M. DesRoches, Sigall K. BellPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20172745; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2745
Sharing clinic notes with patients and families provides many potential benefits, but it also introduces unique legal and ethical challenges for the pediatric and adolescent population.
- Open AccessAn Extravagant Gift From a Grateful PatientAkshay Sharma, Liza-Marie Johnson, Amy Caruso Brown, Yoram Unguru, John D. LantosPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20172837; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2837
A family insists on giving their child’s doctor an extravagant gift. Should the doctor accept?
- Open AccessInterventions to Reduce Over-Utilized Tests and Treatments in BronchiolitisAmy Tyler, Paige Krack, Leigh Anne Bakel, Kimberly O’Hara, Douglas Scudamore, Irina Topoz, Julia Freeman, Angela Moss, Renee Allen, Angela Swanson, Lalit BajajPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20170485; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-0485
This QI project was used to reduce unnecessary use in bronchiolitis at a free-standing children’s hospital and affiliated community hospitals by using novel QI tools and interventions.
- Open AccessImplementing Parental Tobacco Dependence Treatment Within Bronchiolitis QI CollaborativesSusan C. Walley, Grant M. Mussman, Michele Lossius, Kristin A. Shadman, Lauren Destino, Matthew Garber, Shawn L. RalstonPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173072; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3072
Systematic tobacco dependence interventions directed at parents and/or caregivers were implemented as secondary aims in multicenter QI collaboratives targeted at improving care for children with bronchiolitis.
- Open AccessPromoting Oral Health in Childhood: A Quality Improvement ProjectAbiye Okah, Kristi Williams, Nasreen Talib, Keith MannPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20172396; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2396
A systematic approach to improving oral health through EMR-based interventions resulted in improved documentation of oral health status, FV application, and dental referrals.
- Open AccessHypersensitivity Pneumonitis and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome From E-Cigarette UseCasey G. Sommerfeld, Daniel J. Weiner, Andrew Nowalk, Allyson LarkinPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20163927; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2016-3927
Case report of an adolescent who developed acute respiratory distress syndrome requiring intubation and chest tube placement secondary to hypersensitivity pneumonitis from e-cigarette use.
- Open AccessParvovirus B19: A Cause of Sepsislike Syndrome in an InfantSatoko Ugai, Yuta Aizawa, Tetsuya Kanayama, Akihiko SaitohPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20171435; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1435
This is the first case report of an infant who presented with a sepsislike illness caused by PB19.
- Open AccessIL-10RA Mutation as a Risk Factor of Severe Influenza-Associated Encephalopathy: A Case ReportTakashi Ishige, Yoshiko Igarashi, Reiko Hatori, Maiko Tatsuki, Yoji Sasahara, Takumi Takizawa, Hirokazu ArakawaPediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20173548; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3548
With this report, we describe the first case of IAE in a patient with IL-10RA mutation. Changes in cytokines before and after influenza are evaluated.
- Open AccessOrdway MR, Sadler LS, Holland ML, Slade A, Close N, Mayes LC. A Home Visiting Parenting Program and Child Obesity: A Randomized Trial. Pediatrics. 2018;141(2):e20171076Pediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20180770; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0770
- Open AccessCollins BN, Lepore SJ, Winickoff JP, et al. An Office-Initiated Multilevel Intervention for Tobacco Smoke Exposure: A Randomized Trial. Pediatrics. 2018;141(Suppl 1):S75–S86Pediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20180894; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0894
- Open AccessKane JM, Colvin JD, Bartlett AH, Hall M. Opioid-Related Critical Care Resource Use in US Children’s Hospitals. Pediatrics. 2018;141(4):e20173335Pediatrics Jun 2018, 141 (6) e20180935; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2018-0935