December 2017, VOLUME 140 / ISSUE 6
Table of Contents
- Open AccessWeapon Carrying Among Victims of BullyingTammy B. Pham, Lana E. Schapiro, Majnu John, Andrew AdesmanPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20170353; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-0353
In this study of a nationally representative sample of high school students, we investigate the risks of weapon carrying by victims of bullying who have additional indicators of peer aggression.
- Open AccessPrevalence and Attitudes Regarding Marijuana Use Among Adolescents Over the Past DecadeRichard Miech, Lloyd Johnston, Patrick M. O’MalleyPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20170982; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-0982
Today, adolescent marijuana prevalence would be at record highs if adolescent use of cigarettes had not declined over the past decade.
- Open AccessPhysical and Sexual Dating Violence and Nonmedical Use of Prescription DrugsHeather B. Clayton, Richard Lowry, Kathleen C. Basile, Zewditu Demissie, Michele K. BohmPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20172289; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2289
NMUPD is associated with experiences of DVV among a nationally representative sample of male and female high school students.
- Open AccessEpidemiology of Pediatric Zika Virus InfectionsIsabel Griffin, Guoyan Zhang, Danielle Fernandez, Christina Cordero, Teresa Logue, Stephen L. White, Anthoni Llau, Lakisha Thomas, Emily Moore, Pedro Noya-Chaveco, Marie Etienne, Mercedes Rojas, Cynthia Goldberg, Genevie Rodriguez, Alvaro Mejia-Echeverry, Edhelene Rico, Leah D. Gillis, Marshall Cone, Reynald Jean, Lillian RiveraPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20172044; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2044
In 2016, local transmission of ZIKV was identified in Miami-Dade County, Florida. In this report, we describe the epidemiology of pediatric ZIKV infections.
- Open AccessSpillover Effects of Adult Medicaid Expansions on Children’s Use of Preventive ServicesMaya Venkataramani, Craig Evan Pollack, Eric T. RobertsPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20170953; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-0953
We assess whether parental enrollment in Medicaid is associated with children’s receipt of preventive care by using a quasi-experimental approach.
- Open AccessTrends in Intravenous Antibiotic Duration for Urinary Tract Infections in Young InfantsWilliam W. Lewis-de los Angeles, Cary Thurm, Adam L. Hersh, Samir S. Shah, Michael J. Smith, Jeffrey S. Gerber, Sarah K. Parker, Jason G. Newland, Matthew P. Kronman, Brian R. Lee, Thomas V. Brogan, Joshua D. Courter, Alicen Spaulding, Sameer J. PatelPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171021; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1021
The proportion of infants ≤60 days old receiving long-duration IV antibiotics for UTIs has decreased between 2005 and 2015 and varies by children’s hospital.
- Open AccessEating Disorders, Autoimmune, and Autoinflammatory DiseaseStephanie Zerwas, Janne Tidselbak Larsen, Liselotte Petersen, Laura M. Thornton, Michela Quaranta, Susanne Vinkel Koch, David Pisetsky, Preben Bo Mortensen, Cynthia M. BulikPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20162089; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2016-2089
Exploration of the association between eating disorders and autoimmune and autoinflammatory disease in the Danish population.
- Open AccessSurvival in Very Preterm Infants: An International Comparison of 10 National Neonatal NetworksKjell Helenius, Gunnar Sjörs, Prakesh S. Shah, Neena Modi, Brian Reichman, Naho Morisaki, Satoshi Kusuda, Kei Lui, Brian A. Darlow, Dirk Bassler, Stellan Håkansson, Mark Adams, Maximo Vento, Franca Rusconi, Tetsuya Isayama, Shoo K. Lee, Liisa Lehtonen, on behalf of the International Network for Evaluating Outcomes (iNeo) of NeonatesPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171264; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1264
In this article, we compare the survival of very preterm infants in 10 national neonatal networks, showing marked differences in survival and age at death.
- Open AccessPractice Variation in Acute Bronchiolitis: A Pediatric Emergency Research Networks StudySuzanne Schuh, Franz E. Babl, Stuart R. Dalziel, Stephen B. Freedman, Charles G. Macias, Derek Stephens, Dale W. Steele, Ricardo M. Fernandes, Roger Zemek, Amy C. Plint, Todd A. Florin, Mark D. Lyttle, David W. Johnson, Serge Gouin, David Schnadower, Terry P. Klassen, Lalit Bajaj, Javier Benito, Anupam Kharbanda, Nathan Kuppermann, the Pediatric Emergency Research Networks (PERN)Pediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20170842; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-0842
This global bronchiolitis study illustrates frequent lack of use and large variation in administration of EBSTs in infants hospitalized from EDs.
- Open AccessWeb-based Social Media Intervention to Increase Vaccine Acceptance: A Randomized Controlled TrialJason M. Glanz, Nicole M. Wagner, Komal J. Narwaney, Courtney R. Kraus, Jo Ann Shoup, Stanley Xu, Sean T. O’Leary, Saad B. Omer, Kathy S. Gleason, Matthew F. DaleyPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171117; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1117
In this RCT, we compare vaccination outcomes in infants of pregnant women exposed to either a VSM intervention, a VI Web site, or UC.
- Open AccessTrends of Out-of-Hospital Sudden Cardiac Death Among Children and Young AdultsIqbal El-Assaad, Sadeer G. Al-Kindi, Peter F. AzizPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171438; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1438
By using death certificate reports from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Wide-ranging Online Data for Epidemiologic Research database, we examine in this article age and racial and ethnic trends of sudden cardiac death in children and young adults.
- Open AccessComputer-Aided Recognition of Facial Attributes for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum DisordersMatthew Valentine, Dustin C.J. Bihm, Lior Wolf, H. Eugene Hoyme, Philip A. May, David Buckley, Wendy Kalberg, Omar A. Abdul-RahmanPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20162028; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2016-2028
In this study, we find improved efficiency and diagnostic accuracy in computer-assisted analysis of patients affected by FASDs, particularly ARND.
- Open AccessLaboratory Screening for Children Entering Foster CareMary V. Greiner, Sarah J. Beal, Katie Nause, Mary Allen Staat, Judith W. Dexheimer, Philip V. ScribanoPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20163778; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2016-3778
In this study, we evaluated the clinical utility of routine laboratory screening for children entering foster care.
- Open AccessGeneralizability of Clinical Trial Results for Adolescent Major Depressive DisorderCarlos Blanco, Nicolas Hoertel, Silvia Franco, Mark Olfson, Jian-Ping He, Saioa López, Ana González-Pinto, Frédéric Limosin, Kathleen R. MerikangasPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20161701; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2016-1701
Are samples of clinical trials of pharmacological and psychotherapy interventions for adolescent depression representative of the population of adolescents with depression?
- Open Access4-Valent Human Papillomavirus (4vHPV) Vaccine in Preadolescents and Adolescents After 10 YearsDaron G. Ferris, Rudiwilai Samakoses, Stanley L. Block, Eduardo Lazcano-Ponce, Jaime Alberto Restrepo, Jesper Mehlsen, Archana Chatterjee, Ole-Erik Iversen, Amita Joshi, Jian-Li Chu, Andrea Likos Krick, Alfred Saah, Rituparna DasPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20163947; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2016-3947
This report summarizes the immunogenicity, effectiveness, and safety of the 4vHPV vaccine in adolescent and preadolescent subjects after 10 years.
- Open AccessEffectiveness of a Comprehensive Case Management Service for Children With Medical ComplexityTamara D. Simon, Kathryn B. Whitlock, Wren Haaland, Davene R. Wright, Chuan Zhou, John Neff, Waylon Howard, Brian Cartin, Rita Mangione-SmithPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171641; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1641
A randomized trial assessed the impact of CCMS on health care quality, functional status, usage, and costs for CMC.
- Open AccessCombination Analgesia for Neonatal Circumcision: A Randomized Controlled TrialRana Sharara-Chami, Zavi Lakissian, Lama Charafeddine, Nadine Milad, Yaser El-HoutPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171935; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1935
This study is a randomized controlled trial of 3 combination analgesics versus EMLA cream alone, conducted to reach a best practice consensus on analgesia during neonatal circumcision.
- Open AccessWeighing the Social and Ethical Considerations of Maternal-Fetal SurgeryRyan M. Antiel, Alan W. Flake, Christopher A. Collura, Mark P. Johnson, Natalie E. Rintoul, John D. Lantos, Farr A. Curlin, Jon C. Tilburt, Stephen D. Brown, Chris FeudtnerPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20170608; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-0608
In this study, we describe how physicians weigh the importance of social and ethical considerations relevant to maternal-fetal surgery.
- Open AccessObesogenic Behavior and Weight-Based Stigma in Popular Children’s Movies, 2012 to 2015Janna B. Howard, Asheley Cockrell Skinner, Sophie N. Ravanbakht, Jane D. Brown, Andrew J. Perrin, Michael J. Steiner, Eliana M. PerrinPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20172126; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2126
Through examination of recent top-grossing G- and PG-rated movies, this study captures the prevalence of content portraying obesity and weight-based stigma in popular children’s movies.
- Open AccessCounseling on Sun Protection and Indoor TanningSophie J. Balk, Elizabeth A. Gottschlich, Dawn M. Holman, Meg WatsonPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171680; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1680
In this national study, we examined AAP members’ experiences and attitudes regarding counseling on skin cancer prevention in 2015 compared with their experiences and attitudes in 2002.
- Open AccessEffectiveness of a Kindergarten-Based Intervention for Preventing Childhood ObesityYan Hu, Jian-Rong He, Fang-Hua Liu, Wei-Dong Li, Jin-Hua Lu, Yan-Fei Xing, Sui-Fang Lin, Xian Liu, Suzanne Bartington, Qiong Feng, Hui-Min Xia, Kin Bong Hubert Lam, Kar Keung Cheng, Xiu QiuPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171221; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1221
We have demonstrated the feasibility of implementing a multifaceted, culturally appropriate preschool-based obesity intervention program in Guangzhou, China.
- Open AccessPerinatal Outcomes After Treatment With ADHD Medication During PregnancyUlrika Nörby, Birger Winbladh, Karin KällénPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20170747; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-0747
Through analyses of Swedish national health and quality registers, we provide data on birth and neonatal outcomes after exposure to ADHD medication in utero.
- Open AccessAccuracy of Clinician Suspicion of Lyme Disease in the Emergency DepartmentLise E. Nigrovic, Jonathan E. Bennett, Fran Balamuth, Michael N. Levas, Rachel L. Chenard, Alexandra B. Maulden, Aris C. Garro, for Pedi Lyme NetPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171975; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1975
In our multicenter prospective cohort of children being evaluated for Lyme disease, clinician suspicion provided only minimal discriminative ability, highlighting the need for confirmatory testing.
- Open AccessHand and Wrist Injuries Among US High School Athletes: 2005/06–2015/16Bernadette K. Johnson, Lina Brou, Sarah K. Fields, Alexandria N. Erkenbeck, R. Dawn ComstockPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171255; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1255
Through retrospective data review, the authors of this study explore the epidemiology of hand/wrist injuries in high school athletes, identifying injury trends and areas for injury prevention efforts.
- Open AccessChildhood Sports Participation and Adolescent Sport ProfileFrançois Gallant, Jennifer L. O’Loughlin, Jennifer Brunet, Catherine M. Sabiston, Mathieu BélangerPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171449; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1449
With this 5-year study of 756 children, we suggest that compared with specializing in 1 sport, sports sampling during childhood may help sustain PA in adolescence.
- Open AccessUrinary Neutrophil Gelatinase–Associated Lipocalin for the Diagnosis of Urinary Tract InfectionsTamar R. Lubell, Jonathan M. Barasch, Katherine Xu, Maria Ieni, Keven I. Cabrera, Peter S. DayanPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171090; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1090
The urinary biomarker uNGAL displayed substantial accuracy to diagnose UTIs in febrile infants and young children when compared with standard UA.
- Open AccessEffect of FDA Investigation on Opioid Prescribing to Children After Tonsillectomy/AdenoidectomyKao-Ping Chua, Mark G. Shrime, Rena M. ContiPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171765; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1765
The 2012–2013 FDA safety investigation into codeine use by children after tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy was associated with substantial but incomplete decreases in codeine prescribing.
- Open AccessMomentary Parental Stress and Food-Related Parenting PracticesJerica M. Berge, Allan Tate, Amanda Trofholz, Angela R. Fertig, Michael Miner, Scott Crow, Dianne Neumark-SztainerPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20172295; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2295
In this EMA study, we examined the association between momentary factors such as parental stress and depressed mood and food-related parenting practices.
- Open AccessState Variations in Infant Feeding Regulations for Child CareSara E. Benjamin-Neelon, Sarah Gonzalez-Nahm, Elyse Grossman, Melanie L. Davis, Brian Neelon, Anna Ayers Looby, Natasha FrostPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20172076; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2076
State regulations have the potential to improve child health. We conducted a state-by-state review to document regulations supporting appropriate infant feeding in child care.
- Open AccessInfant Neuromotor Development and Childhood Problem BehaviorFadila Serdarevic, Akhgar Ghassabian, Tamara van Batenburg-Eddes, Emin Tahirovic, Tonya White, Vincent W.V. Jaddoe, Frank C. Verhulst, Henning TiemeierPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20170884; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-0884
With this prospective population-based study, we showed that infant neuromotor development, including muscle tone and senses, predicted internalizing problems but not externalizing problems through age 10 years.
- Open AccessPresentation and Diagnosis of Tuberous Sclerosis Complex in InfantsPeter E. Davis, Rajna Filip-Dhima, Georgios Sideridis, Jurriaan M. Peters, Kit Sing Au, Hope Northrup, E. Martina Bebin, Joyce Y. Wu, Darcy Krueger, Mustafa Sahin, on behalf of the Tuberous Sclerosis Complex Autism Center of Excellence Research NetworkPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20164040; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2016-4040
Infants with TSC can often be identified before neurologic symptoms present, allowing for improved surveillance and the possibility of disease-modifying treatment.
- Open AccessOropharyngeal Dysphagia and Cerebral PalsyKatherine A. Benfer, Kelly A. Weir, Kristie L. Bell, Robert S. Ware, Peter S.W. Davies, Roslyn N. BoydPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20170731; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-0731
We describe the reducing prevalence and severity of OPD during the preschool years in children with CP.
- Open AccessMortality in Infants Affected by Preterm Birth and Severe Small-for-Gestational Age Birth WeightJoel G. Ray, Alison L. Park, Deshayne B. FellPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171881; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1881
Neonatal mortality was 100 times higher among infants born preterm with severe SGA than among those born at term with a birth weight greater than the fifth percentile.
- Open AccessReadmission After Pediatric Mental Health AdmissionsJeremy Y. Feng, Sara L. Toomey, Alan M. Zaslavsky, Mari M. Nakamura, Mark A. SchusterPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171571; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1571
Using national all-payer claims data, we analyzed the prevalence, cost, and variability of MH readmissions at >1800 acute-care hospitals.
- Open AccessGrowth Tracking in Severely Obese or Underweight ChildrenMelissa Chambers, Stephanie K. Tanamas, Elena J. Clark, Diana L. Dunnigan, Chirag R. Kapadia, Robert L. Hanson, Robert G. Nelson, William C. Knowler, Madhumita SinhaPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20172248; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2248
This study examines the utility of various growth charts, including a new modified CDC BMI z score chart, in tracking children with normal and problematic growth.
- Open AccessAnorexia and Autoimmunity: Challenging the Etiologic Constructs of Disordered EatingRebecca E. Hommer, Susan E. SwedoPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20173060; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3060
- Open AccessIssues Related to Laboratory Screening for Children and Adolescents Entering Foster CareMoira Szilagyi, Elaine SchultePediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20173075; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3075
- Open AccessApplying Evidence From Clinical Trials: Need for Pediatric Learning Health System ResearchKamila B. Mistry, Christopher B. ForrestPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20173098; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3098
- Open AccessCare Management for Children With Medical Complexity: Integration Is EssentialRichard C. Antonelli, Renee M. TurchiPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20172860; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2860
- Open AccessRing Block of the Penis: A Proven Addition to Multimodal Pain Relief for Newborn CircumcisionDavid A. Rosen, Lynn M. BroadmanPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20172678; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2678
From the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Open AccessStigma Experienced by Children and Adolescents With ObesityStephen J. Pont, Rebecca Puhl, Stephen R. Cook, Wendelin Slusser, SECTION ON OBESITY, THE OBESITY SOCIETYPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20173034; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3034
- Open AccessA Dream Deferred: Ending DACA Threatens Children, Families, and CommunitiesOmolara T. Uwemedimo, Ana C. Monterrey, Julie M. LintonPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20173089; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3089
- Open AccessUrinary Tract Infection Antibiotic Trial Study Design: A Systematic ReviewRomain Basmaci, Konstantinos Vazouras, Julia Bielicki, Laura Folgori, Yingfen Hsia, Theoklis Zaoutis, Mike SharlandPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20172209; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2209
A wide variability of inclusion criteria and timing for end point assessment was observed in pediatric febrile UTI CTs. Harmonized pediatric guidance appears required.
- Open AccessPrimary Care Interventions for Early Childhood Development: A Systematic ReviewElizabeth Peacock-Chambers, Kathryn Ivy, Megan Bair-MerrittPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171661; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1661
An updated review of primary care–based interventions designed to promote the optimal development of children from birth to 3 years of age.
- Open AccessAcademic Achievement and Physical Activity: A Meta-analysisCelia Álvarez-Bueno, Caterina Pesce, Iván Cavero-Redondo, Mairena Sánchez-López, Miriam Garrido-Miguel, Vicente Martínez-VizcaínoPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171498; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1498
Through systematic review, in this study, we state that PA, especially curricular PE programs, benefits several aspects of academic achievement and classroom behaviors in youth.
- Open AccessRefusal of Treatment of Childhood Cancer: A Systematic ReviewAmy E. Caruso Brown, Amy R. SlutzkyPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171951; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1951
This systematic review illuminates the profound mismatch between the scholarly attention paid to treatment refusal for childhood cancer and what is known about refusal.
- Open AccessDiagnostic Accuracy of Neonatal Assessment for Gestational Age Determination: A Systematic ReviewAnne CC Lee, Pratik Panchal, Lian Folger, Hilary Whelan, Rachel Whelan, Bernard Rosner, Hannah Blencowe, Joy E. LawnPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171423; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1423
This systematic review and meta-analysis summarizes evidence on the diagnostic accuracy of neonatal clinical assessment for gestational age determination, with a focus on LMIC.
State-of-the-Art Review Article
- Open AccessBone Age: A Handy Tool for Pediatric ProvidersAna L. Creo, W. Frederick SchwenkPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171486; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1486
Determining skeletal maturation may help direct diagnostic testing, but current methods are derived from primarily white populations and are not necessarily generalizable to other ethnicities.
- Open AccessEthics Rounds: Death After Pediatric Dental Anesthesia: An Avoidable Tragedy?Helen Lee, Peter Milgrom, Colleen E. Huebner, Philip Weinstein, Wylie Burke, Erika Blacksher, John D. LantosPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20172370; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2370
How should we respond (clinically and through public policy) to the problem of childhood deaths after anesthesia for dental procedures?
- Open AccessMental Health Screening Quality Improvement Learning Collaborative in Pediatric Primary CareLee S. Beers, Leandra Godoy, Tamara John, Melissa Long, Matthew G. Biel, Bruno Anthony, Laura Mlynarski, Rachel Moon, Mark WeissmanPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20162966; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2016-2966
This article describes the results of a QI Learning Collaborative designed to improve rates of mental health screening in pediatric practice.
- Open AccessImplementation of a Guideline to Decrease Use of Acid-Suppressing Medications in the NICUAsimenia Angelidou, Katherine Bell, Munish Gupta, Kristen Tropea Leeman, Anne HansenPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20171715; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1715
Implementation of an evidence-based guideline for use of acid-suppressing medications resulted in significantly fewer prescriptions among infants <1 month corrected age in the NICU.
- Open AccessTwo-Year Neurodevelopmental Outcome of an Infant Born at 21 Weeks’ 4 Days’ GestationKaashif A. Ahmad, Charlotte S. Frey, Mario A. Fierro, Alexander B. Kenton, Frank X. PlacenciaPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20170103; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-0103
This report discusses the outcome of an infant resuscitated at 21 weeks’ 4 days’ gestation and the approach to the ethics of this situation.
- Open AccessCapsaicin Cream for Treatment of Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome in Adolescents: A Case SeriesJessica Graham, Michael Barberio, George Sam WangPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20163795; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2016-3795
Capsaicin cream can be an effective therapeutic treatment and a diagnostic intervention for CHS.
- Open AccessDiagnosing Infection in a Neonate Using Whole-Body Screening Magnetic Resonance ImagingTing Ting Fu, Paul S. KingmaPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20160732; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2016-0732
This case report describes the use of whole-body screening MRI as a method to detect invasive infection in an infant.
- Open AccessSuccessful Reversal of Furosemide-Induced Secondary Hyperparathyroidism With CinacalcetTarak Srivastava, Shahryar Jafri, William E. Truog, Judith Sebestyen VanSickle, Winston M. Manimtim, Uri S. AlonPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20163789; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2016-3789
Furosemide-induced SHPT is a rare complication of diuretic therapy. Cinacalcet was used successfully when traditional therapy with furosemide discontinuation, calcium, and calcitriol failed.
Letters to the Editor
- Open AccessRe: Confusing Recommendations Regarding Timing of Peanut-Based Foods to Low-risk InfantsArthur I. Eidelman, Joan Y. Meek, Richard J. SchanlerPediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20172938A; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2938A
- Open AccessFlynn JT, Kaelber DC, Baker-Smith CM, et al; SUBCOMMITTEE ON SCREENING AND MANAGEMENT OF HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE IN CHILDREN. Clinical Practice Guideline for Screening and Management of High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents. Pediatrics. 2017; 140(3):e20171904Pediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20173035; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3035
- Open AccessPastor-Villaescusa B, Cañete MD, Caballero-Villarraso J, et al. Metformin for Obesity in Prepubertal and Pubertal Children: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatrics. 2017;140(1):e20164285Pediatrics Dec 2017, 140 (6) e20173232; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-3232